What the heck is Tanzanite !!!

IrishBoy

Well here is my opinion and not a particular popular one: I did buy some ear rings in St Thomas a couple of years ago and they were not cheap considering the size of the stones. It is a very pretty stone, but that is as far as I will go. My reason and those of you who have been cruising for years should agree: We have been told, there is only one Tanzanite mine and when it dries up that will be the end, so BUY NOW> Well we have been told this since the first time I cruised (1984) I am beginning to think that mine must be the biggest mine ever. If you like the stone and really see a piece of jewelry that turns you on: go for it, if you are buying it cause it is going to continue to increase in value, I am the eternal skeptic. NMnita

I have to agree with you . . . that little old mine has been drying up for years. I bought my first ear rings in either 1974 on a cruise in the Southern Caribbean or in the early 80's on a land trip to St. Thomas (can't remember which). I know this sounds terrible but I think that as long as cruise ship passengers continue to buy . . . the "mine" will continue to produce. Just give me diamonds or emeralds . . . :)

Well, it's definitely not just cruise ship passengers that buy Tanzanite. The supply is not as ample as it once was. Not that the mines are completely dried up. The problem is that the larger and higher quality stones are harder to come by. The gems are only found in one part of the world, which makes them even more sought after. Smaller gems are being found now, the larger crystals are becoming harder and harder to come by.... Also, so many people just buy Tanzanite because someone says Tanzanite... some are willing to pay alot of money, without checking it out or knowing anything about the stone... so as long as there are suckers, those people will always exist.

Just give me diamonds or emeralds . . . :)

I'm right there with you LadyC. The first half a dozen times I went to the Caribbean, I drooled over the Tanzanite then on one cruise I splurged in Jamaica and bought an emerald cut diamond and tanzanite ring. It's not huge, about 1.5 carat on the Tanzanite but back then, it was a lot of money for me to spend. I left the store three times trying to get them down further on the price and eventually just bought it thinking that I had done great because it was about 1/2 of what they were asking.

I came home and took it to my local jeweler who appraised it for almost exactly what I had paid for it and she had no idea what that amount was. She explained it best by saying that it's not necessarily the best prices down there BUT she wouldn't be able to get a solitaire stone that size/quality at all from her suppliers. So, I felt better about it.

A word of warning though. Tanzanite is a very soft stone. I wore my ring every day and the surface has gotten scratched over time. It looks terrible now and the jewelers here say there's nothing they can do about it. :(

Tanzanite is so beautiful; I really would love it for my wedding band, but was advised by the jeweler that it is a soft stone, and not suitable for everyday wear. Apparently it gets scratched and the facets wear down. :( Ah, well. I love the richer purple shades, and especially the three-tone (purple, blue, green) ones.

It also does bother me that the mining of them is so shady. Not much worse than diamonds, really (though progress is being made on that front, thank goodness).

Tanzanite is so beautiful; I really would love it for my wedding band, but was advised by the jeweler that it is a soft stone, and not suitable for everyday wear. Apparently it gets scratched and the facets wear down. :( Ah, well. I love the richer purple shades, and especially the three-tone (purple, blue, green) ones.

It also does bother me that the mining of them is so shady. Not much worse than diamonds, really (though progress is being made on that front, thank goodness).

I purchased a lovely tanzanite and opal ring last year on st. thomas.. I really love it and hope to purchase matching accessories.. necklace etc.

But I will tell you that I found the same ring larger stones in a store in Phillipsburg.. ...with a cheaper "LIST" price.. that is before you share a glass of soda.. and hem and haw to get your best price... so shop around..

Archived