Vancouver short stay

camper49

While tourists will know Grouse for the gondola, shows, zip line, peak chairlift and Eye of the Wind. Locals regularly visit the mountain for the hiking trails.

The Grouse Grind is the most famous for those who want to skip the Gondola. Known as "mother nature's stairclimb". It takes the average hiker 2 hours (fastest is under 30 minutes, I need 5 hours). Please leave your heels at home as this is a very challenging trail.

https://www.grousemountain.com/grousegrind

Once you get to the chalet level..... the mountain has many more trails, some takes you up higher to the peak. Again you are not walking on level ground, but ascending a mountain. I'm going to guess you would follow the Peak trail or "Heaven's Sake" ski run to get to the peak.

I forgot to mention.... for those wanting to skip the chairlift.... you can probably walk you way up to the Peak for free. The Eye observation deck will still have admission though.

Thanks. That's very helpful in case the wind is too bad that the chairlift is closed. That'll be the only way I'll get my group to walk it. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Additional thoughts....

• I like a little wind for a visit to Grouse. This flushes out the stagnant pollution that obscures views from Grouse. Sometimes, I decide whether I visit grouse whether the skies are clear.
  • if the peak chairlift is closed... I expect the Eye to be closed too. You can confirm on the Grouse website to see what is operating that moment. https://www.grousemountain.com/current_conditions
  • If there is strong winds..... the mountain will close. So will the gondolas. If the cross winds are strong, they will close the red gondola. The smaller and slower blue gondola can mean a multi-hour wait to get off the mountain.

Additional thoughts....

• I like a little wind for a visit to Grouse. This flushes out the stagnant pollution that obscures views from Grouse. Sometimes, I decide whether I visit grouse whether the skies are clear.
  • if the peak chairlift is closed... I expect the Eye to be closed too. You can confirm on the Grouse website to see what is operating that moment. https://www.grousemountain.com/current_conditions
  • If there is strong winds..... the mountain will close. So will the gondolas. If the cross winds are strong, they will close the red gondola. The smaller and slower blue gondola can mean a multi-hour wait to get off the mountain.

Thanks for all the info.

• 4 months later...
Please come back & tell us how it was - they changed exec chef less than a year ago and I'm still unfamiliar with the new guy's work.

Our trip To Grouse Mountain was wonderful. We had dinner reservations so that we would be dining in The Observatory at sunset. It had just snowed and the clouds were very low. Since it appeared that we would not be able to see the sunset, we arranged to move our dinner reservations up so that we could eat and get back to town before too late. Just as we sat down to dinner, the clouds broke for about 10-15 minutes revealing the most beautiful views of Vancouver. All four of us enjoyed the dinner, two of us had the chicken and two had the fish - all well prepared and tasty.

Once again, I want to thank you for all the valuable advice. Taking the cab from the airport to Canada Place and renting the car for only our trip up the Sea to Sky Highway was right on. We were able to use public transit for our day in Vancouver, including the trip to Grouse Mountain with our day pass. Then, our hotel called a cab for us to get back to Canada Place to board.

Also worth mentioning, The Times Square Suites were awesome!!! The staff was very friendly & helpful and the location was very convenient & within walking distance to many things. Our suites were really nice. We had adjoining suites with fireplaces & balconies and plenty of room. It was really great to cook our breakfast every morning in the kitchenettes. There were also Weber grills & accessories on the roof deck for our use & enjoyment. Also, to have washer/dryer in the suite to wash up any clothes before boarding the ship was a major plus. Both units looked like they had just been painted & refreshed but we were told that wasn't the case. I guess they just take very good care of the property. All this at a very reasonable price. I would definitely recommend The Times Square Suites!! (Wish I could find the same value in a condo in Sydney. Looking for one there for a few days at the end of next March and the prices are much more.)

Thanks again for your valuable help!

Kathy