What food item do you request at dinner?

flagger

We cruised with our niece who is Hispanic. She said that she missed tortillas with her meals and we mentioned it to our waiter. Every night after that, there was a basket of warm steamed tortillas on the table in addition to the bread basket.

Justin

This is actually one reason I prefer freestyle, with different waiters every night. :p I'd really just prefer to be an anonymous customer.:eek:

Shouldn't you be over on the Norwegian boards?

X (and great service) is what this forum is all about. For me, I want to be a regular. One where they know my drink, my appetizer and the more they remember about me, the better. Reading this thread has been very satisfying. I keep telling my bride, "This is what X is all about!"

Several cruises ago I was at a table for ten, and some of us really enjoyed the escargot appetizer. We asked if we could have it again the next night. The waiter talked to the chef who said he would have to open up a big can of escargot and if we wanted at least six servings every night, OK.

One couple, dedicated escargot lovers, had an emergency at home and had to leave the ship. Another diner decided he did not really like escargot that well. That left me -- eating four to six servings every night. I mean, I love that stuff, but it is so rich and six times in one night for ten nights got to be a bit much.

I am careful about ordering escargot these days!!!!

love

joan

On our Galaxy Europe cruise last fall the menu in the main dining room listed what they called "Available every night" on the left side of the menu. It of course included shrimp cocktail, caesar salad and salmon but to my delight it also included steak and escargot.

So if you wanted it, you can just order it. For me, I think X does great food but lousy salads. They are the worst thing they do. So I skip the salad every night, have an appetizer and ask my waiter to bring me a shrimp cocktail when he brings everyone else their salad course. Works great. Now, if there isn't an appetizer I like, I go with escargot.

I order fish most evenings. On our Mercury cruise last January our maitre d' told me if the fish on the menu wasn't what I wanted to let him know and he could have them prepare any fish that was available. The next evening they had a poached fish which didn't sound that good so I asked if they would grill a piece of halibut. He said he would check to see if they had any in the kitchen. A few minutes later he came back and asked if I prefered it grilled with lemon or with garlic. Although I would have been happy with the grilled salmon that is always available I really enjoyed the grilled halibut topped with lots of chopped garlic toasted golden brown under the broiler.

Jerry

I wouldn't exactly call it "special," but a lady at our table on our recent Millennium cruise was having terrible problems with seasickness. On the nights when she felt well enough to come to the dining room, she had either plain rice or plain pasta with Parmesan cheese. Our waiter tried to encourage her to eat, but that was all she could handle -- poor thing!

On my last cruise I asked for a plate of steamed veggies. (they were on the menu) When they were delivered I was amazed there was enough for a meal! All four of us at the table ete some, that way they didn't go to waste. The next night I asked again, by the third night when I went to ask our waiter just nodded and said steamed veggies. The rest of the cruise he delivered steamed veggies for us to enjoy. He must have said something to the other staff because the night we had dinner with the captain a small plate of steamed veggies appeared next to my dinner plate. Now that is what I call good service!

Good to know! I will be ordering steamed veggies on Mercury in Alaska then. Our first cruise was with X, and we were in such awe, we made no special requests! But I love lots of veggies with dinner (helps balance out all that creme brulee!). I did ask for them the first night on Carnival in October, and they came every night after that without asking.

I am wondering if those of you who are receiving these items are staying in regular cabins or all you all suite people?

Also--do they have sugar free desserts on the menu. Last time I cruised Celebrity I was not sugar restricted--now I am, and I never noticed.

I am wondering if those of you who are receiving these items are staying in regular cabins or all you all suite people?

Also--do they have sugar free desserts on the menu. Last time I cruised Celebrity I was not sugar restricted--now I am, and I never noticed.

Doubt the waiter has a clue on whether or not you are in a suite.

Yes, they do have sugar free desserts on the menu, usually at least two (one ice cream and one other). We had one sugar restricted person at our table and he loved the desserts - and I think they made a special one for him one night (and he was not in a suite).

• 2 weeks later...

Dawn,

Just read your email about all the wonderful extras we had at our dinner table.... oh, my! life was good!

Know you are cruising with the boys....hope all is great. If yo happen to check in say Hi to Bev and Randy.

Judy

i limit sugar too and was happy to read on this board that berries with cream are available for dessert every night

On our first Alaskan cruise (princess) a gentleman at the table next to us went fishing and caught a large salmon. They requested it be cooked one evening for dinner and shared with anyone around them.

My brother and his girlfriend (from Maine) plan to go on a fishing excursion and don't care too much for salmon so I doubt they would bother to have it shipped home if they caught one.. Do you think Mercury would cook it for us... and anyone who wishes to share? Who would I ask?

DH and I live in the Pacific Northwest and salmon is plentiful here so we wouldn't care to pay the price to have it shipped here, either.

Mentioned to my DH that I Loved the breadsticks and I'd prefer them to rolls every night because they were less filling. He agreed.

From then on, our basket only had a double order of breadsticks. AND the waiter remembered that I ordered margarine rather than butter on the first night. They gotta keep notes for each group they serve. No one can remember all those little details! It sure is wonderful!!! I agree with "Dr.Koob"! I enjoy being noticed and not anonymous in the crowd. Just as it's fun to be recognized and spoken to in the buffet by our dinner waiters. It just makes everything feel so warm and welcoming.

I like a wedge of blue cheese every night for my salad. I asked for it on our Baltic cruise, and got it the first night and every night thereafter -- more than enough for me, so I shared it with the table every night. On our recent 5 day cruise, I asked for it the first night -- didn't get it until the 2nd, and was told it couldn't be attained on the last night, so only actually got it on 3 of the 5 nights. We joked that blue cheese salad dressing was on the menu the last night, so we figured all the left over blue cheese probably went to make it.

On our first Alaskan cruise (princess) a gentleman at the table next to us went fishing and caught a large salmon. They requested it be cooked one evening for dinner and shared with anyone around them.

My brother and his girlfriend (from Maine) plan to go on a fishing excursion and don't care too much for salmon so I doubt they would bother to have it shipped home if they caught one.. Do you think Mercury would cook it for us... and anyone who wishes to share? Who would I ask?

DH and I live in the Pacific Northwest and salmon is plentiful here so we wouldn't care to pay the price to have it shipped here, either.

They (Mercury) did for us on our 2000 Alaska Cruise - It was very good and the wait staff helped with the left overs once dinner was done. DH caught a 14 lb wild silver - it came from the kitchen on a huge platter, whole.

On Century, have asked for shrimp cocktail whenever there was no appetizer that I liked, and got it, but after the second time, the shrimp were not cocktail-sized but the small salad-size. They were not as good, but I always ask for the champagne sauce which helped. I would never have dreamed of asking for something that was not on the menu, until I read threads on this site! Another reason that CruiseCritic is so valuable.:D

Last fall, on Constellation, I ordered the Creme Brulee because a poster here had recommended it. It was good. I had asked Mini, our waiter, about Creme Brulee and he recommended it, but said that it would be on again later, and it was better. The second night that it was on the menu, it came carmelized, but there was also a chocolate concoction :rolleyes: as well. I was debating, and ordered the chocolate stuff. Mini insisted on bringing the carmelized Creme Brulee as well. It was wonderful, and I will be getting it again for sure even at the expense of something chocolate!

(BTW, another favorite of mine shows up at lunch now instead of dinner. It is called Beef Esterhazy and is roast beef with a slightly thin sauce topped with sour cream, with julienned root vegetables, (turnip, carrot, beet). Sooo good!)

As said before on this thread, the waiters on X are terrific. And no, I do not want to be anonymous either. I love it when the staff takes care of me, and we both go our of our way to greet each other should we meet outside the dining room. Cannot wait until the next cruise....:)

Archived