Enchanted with the Enchantment

curiousjly

We were on Enchantment for the 9/4-9/11 Boston - Canada - Boston sailings. The ship was sold out and we had late seating. I would estimate that 15-20% of the dining room was empty which meant the main seating was overloaded. This is what you get with an older crowd.

Because of this the theatre was packed for the shows for main seating and never more than 80-85 % full for late seating.

Plus with the stretch 150 more people on board and the theatre wasn't enlarged.

Take this into account when going to a show. If the dining room is crowded for your seating then make a beeline for the show.

David

We stopped first at Ocho Rio, in Jamacia (sp?). I hate to say this, but I think that Jamacia is a horrible place. I was not sure about it, due to mobility problems. But, Sara wanted me to really go, she did not want to go alone.

First off, the place was rundown. Now, I know they have had a lot of problems from hurricanes, but still, the govt should be able to do some cleanup. Don't flame me for this, I am not talking make it sparkling, but there was junk everywhere. People were just sitting around, doing nothing. If the govt won't hire them to help clean up, then the people themselves should have had some pride and wanted to clean up the messes.:(

Next problem, was the in your face, you owe me money attitude. Our excursion was the Best of Ocho Rio, and we went to the Ruin by the Falls, What ruins? it was a house, with a waterfall in the backyard. Okay, the house was pretty, the falls were nice, but not what I expected to see. Then, when I couldn't continue the tour, due to mobility problems, I went to sit at the patio. I was IMMEDIATELY swarmed with people wanting me to buy things, a young girl came up to give me the story of the house, which I had already heard. I was sitting in a chair, and she pushed herself against me, so I couldn't get up (she thought). She started to tell me the story, I told her I had already heard it, she continued. She sang me a song, nice, but I wanted to be left alone. I finally pushed her back, and went to the van. A young man came up and OFFERED to take mine and Sara's picture. She said okay, then he asked her for some money, she looked at him, and said what? I didn't ask you to do this, and he said she owed him two dollars that was how her got his money, so, she told him he needed to go and get a real job, instead of bothering people.

At Dunn falls, Sara had fun, but we couldn't go a step without someone litteraly grabbing us and wanting us to buy something. A man pushed a necklace into my hand, and said it was free. I tried to give it back he says, no it is free. I turn to get away, I was hurting I just wanted to get to the van. And he asks for his tip. I go what tip, he says for the necklace. I looked at him, and told him I hadn't wanted the necklace in the first place, free meant free, not a tip, and then threw it at him.

Rude, Rude, Rude. We were offered drugs, my daughter was propositioned, (she didn't hear the remark), I was a couple steps behind her, and I don't think he realized we were together. It's a good thing her husband, her father or her brother weren't with us.

The people who did the tour, Henri and Pat (or Pam) were great people. They took care of me, they told us not to accept change back except in US money, if they wouldn't give it back in US, then refuse to buy. I have nothing but praise for them. :)

But the rest of the tour, it was a waste of money. The only thing that made it fun was the game at Margaritaville. They had a group of girls, and one man do a scavenger hunt with musical chairs. They sent them out for an item, and took a chair out while they all dashed around the area to find the item. it was fun to watch. We had our straws, hats, cell phones, taken out of our hands, men had their shirts taken off of them, by total strangers, and the winner, her husband had to do a lap dance for her. It was great to see. Everyone there had fun. Music was too loud, though.

Grand Cayman, I could not get off, mobility, and too much schoolwork due. But Sara went snorkling, and loved it. She said the place was beautiful, and the people were nice, not like at Jamacia.

I heard others on the cruise state that they were unhappy with Jamacia, that they people were rude, cussed you out when you didn't buy, grabbed at you, it was not a nice place to go. :eek:

I know that if I every get to cruise again, the port of call will not be at Jamacia. The rest of the cruise was great.

Janette

This will be our first cruise (12/5 Enchantment... Key West, Cozumel (?), and Belize), so I'm certainly not qualified to say, but from what I've read and heard, it doesn't seem like Jamaica, Bermuda, or the Bahamas are worth going to. Anyone who's been to them can confirm/deny? It just seems like the other places get a better rep....

The elevators aren't really close by. We stepped out of the room right into an open area, where the stairs came out. Then, around the "corner" was the elevators, the corner was the shaft. You couldn't hear anything.

Your cabin is a connected cabin, but the door was locked, and the sofa was in front of it. We could occassionally hear the people next door, but not often. Mainly, they were not there much, but what little I did hear was okay.

It seemed to be a family, parents with a couple of girls, I could hear them laughing and talking as they got ready to go out, but it wasn't loud, I had to have the TV off, and be sitting real quiet to hear them.

He should sleep fine, I am a very light sleeper, and had no problem sleeping. Even when some kids were running up and down the stairs I only knew when I came out of our cabin, and then I called them down for it. They could have knocked down someone, so I told them to slow down, they needed to watch out for the elderly. They stopped, looked at me, and then walked quietly away. I guess I looked too mean to tangle with.

Kids weren't a major problem, there were some, but most were little ones, under 5 years. Some that were older, you hardly ever saw them.

Janette

I don't think I am spelling Jamacia right, but you know what I mean.

I have written my review of Jamacia, in my opinion, it was a waste of time and money. The only thing I liked was the time spent at Margaritaville (sp? again).

The music was too loud, but I find music too loud everywhere.

Don't was money on excursions, if you want to go shopping, go to the Island Village, but the prices there are too high. Sara found nicer things cheaper when she went to Grand Caymen.

Others were VERY dissapointed with Jamacia, some were unhappy with Grand Caymen, but it was due to problems with the excursions, changes in the places set to go. Not the island itself, or the people.

They thought the island was beautiful, people were nice. I wish I could have gone ashore there.

Janette

We just got off the Enchantment, was on the Nov. 17th sailing. Cabin 2112, right by the elevators was pretty noisy. We heard noise from people laughing and carrying on coming on and off the elevators, mostly because people would congregate in the stairwells after getting off the elevators. Not much noise at night really, mostly during the day particularily when folks were trying to get off the ship in port.

Archived