Weather Barcelona to Rio 11/27

dbos

Our only South Atlantic crossing was in Mar 98, on late great Royal Princess, Buenos Aires to Barcelona, and it was very smooth.

North Atlantic November crossing can be very rough - Nov 95, Maasdam, Lisbon to Fort Lauderdale, smooth to Azores, pretty rough West of the Azores. We had a cabin forward on Main Deck, which flooded to depth of 6 inches (along with some dozen other cabins forward), when water entered hawsepipe (anchor chainway). Luckily they had other cabins to which we could be moved.

Trans-Atlantics and trans-Pacifics always interesting - never know what the sea state will be like.

We are on this repositioning cruise as well. We are hoping for the best as far as the weather goes. Hurricanes start as storms off the coast of Africa and hurricane season is supposed to be finished by the end of November. The coolest weather we will have is going to be in Barcelona, probably in the 50's and 60's while we are there. From then on the weather is going to get progressively warmer and it should be down right HOT in Rio! So the farther south we go the more into summer we are and I understand that southern Atlantic is much calmer this time of year than the northern Atlantic but the weather is not always so predictable. I would say pack more for warmer climate than cooler climate. You can always buy an extra sweater in Barcelona if needed. Also a side note to Mjmme, tell your wife there is a self-service laundry on board the Insignia, so she does not have to pack quite everything she owns, LOL. Anyone flying into Barcelona early? We are leaving on Thursday to spend two nights in Barcelona.

See you on board the INSIGNIA!

Doug

Doug,

We know about the laundry because we used it on a previous Oceania repositioning cruise from Miami to Lisbon.The laundry has no bearing on my wife's decision to pack everything she owns. We are flying in on Saturday morning and plan to visit the Boqueria (to pick up some saffron, piquillos de pimiento, maybe some wine to carry onboard the boat) before joining some friends in Barcelona for dinner. We suggested that aforementioned restaurant, but our friends have made reservations at another place (I don't know the name I am afraid).

We are on this repositioning cruise as well. We are hoping for the best as far as the weather goes. Hurricanes start as storms off the coast of Africa and hurricane season is supposed to be finished by the end of November. The coolest weather we will have is going to be in Barcelona, probably in the 50's and 60's while we are there. From then on the weather is going to get progressively warmer and it should be down right HOT in Rio! So the farther south we go the more into summer we are and I understand that southern Atlantic is much calmer this time of year than the northern Atlantic but the weather is not always so predictable. I would say pack more for warmer climate than cooler climate. You can always buy an extra sweater in Barcelona if needed. Also a side note to Mjmme, tell your wife there is a self-service laundry on board the Insignia, so she does not have to pack quite everything she owns, LOL. Anyone flying into Barcelona early? We are leaving on Thursday to spend two nights in Barcelona.

See you on board the INSIGNIA!

Doug

We will spend two nights in Barcelona also, then two in Rio. We are leaving Phoenix on Thursday. Hope we won't run into a weather and crowded flights mess in NYC. It will be our first Oceania cruise and we can hardly wait.

Eric Baxter

Hi Eric,

Ditto, I hope we don't run into any holiday/weather related messes in NYC either. Is your connecting flight at JFK on Delta flight #90? If so we are on the same flight from NYC to Barcelona. We are staying in Barcelona 11/25-11/27 at the Hotel Torre Catalunya. I wonder if turkey dinner will be served on the airplane, lol.....I doubt it. We are also spending 2 nights in Rio at the Meridan Copacabana Hotel on Copacabana beach. It is our first Oceania cruise as well.

Doug

Archived