Locks on Luggage/alcohol question

CruiseFairy

Hi everyone, hope everyone's day is going well. My question is this. I have read here on the boards that you can lock your luggage (not your carry on's). I just asked my mom and she said that you can't lock your luggage they will just break the lock. I wanted to smuggle alcohol on, now what am I to do?

Hi. I'm having a nice day; thx for asking.:)

Yes, Carnival says to LOCK your luggage before handing it over to the porters at the dock. You do not lock your carry-ons, as they are with you all the time.

Perhaps your mom is confusing it with the airlines - who do not want you to lock your luggage....?

Hi everyone, hope everyone's day is going well. My question is this. I have read here on the boards that you can lock your luggage (not your carry on's). I just asked my mom and she said that you can't lock your luggage they will just break the lock. I wanted to smuggle alcohol on, now what am I to do?

Locked or unlocked its highly doubtful you will have a problem smuggling alcohol in your checked luggage.

FYI... http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Baggage_Information__Embarkation_Debarkation.aspx

Each piece of luggage must be locked and have a colored bag tag listing the guest's name, ship and stateroom number.Guests must identify their bags with a curbside porter who will place the bags on the ship; the customary tip for the curbside porter is $1.00 per bag.

Your best bet is to lock your luggage once you pick it up at the airport. That way they are safe from someone taking something from them while left outside your cabin door. This is a rare occurance, but better safe than sorry. We also lock our luggage before we set it out the night before we leave the ship. We take the locks off once we arrive at the airport.

I agree with the poster above that your mom is probably thinking about the airport. They will cut your locks off to get into your luggage if they need to look around.

You lock your luggage on the cruise. What you can buy are the TSA compliant locks that can be opened and locked by luggage screeners at the airport. I've seen them sold at Walgreens, Sharper Image and Magellans.com.

The porters at the piers are not Carnival employees so by all means lock up that lugggage.

Smuggling alcohol! Tsk tsk, you know that's against the rules. (Required disclaimer)

I've never locked my luggage and never had my smuggled booze or anything else for that matter stolen. The locks I've seen are so flimsy anyone could break them. Understand I'm not recommending this, just sharing my experiences.

I second the "we use zip ties" - they are quick and easy and you can bring extras!

And all this talk about smuggling liquor...Let's get it straight: You don't smuggle it, you creatively pack it!! (I wish that I could give proper credit to the CC member that coined that term - plus there is another member that says that he isn't allowed to bring liquor on board, so he lets the porters do it!!! ;) )

So, here's to creatively packing your cruising neccessities and locking the luggage when you get to the port!!

I never heard of TSA compliant locks. Just how does it work?

Dave had your answer, BUT I've heard many reports from passengers (particularly at airports) that say their TSA locks were cut. Obviously, even though the TSA agents have 'the key', all personnel do not always make an effort to find or take time to use the TSA key....so they just cut the locks off anyway.:o

DW and I had a small problem on the Miracle Oct 23rd sailing when our luggage reached our cabin the lock was gone from one suitcase and the other one the lock was jammed shut. The 3rd suitcase, a small one with soda and water was untouched. We do not drink so we carried no liquor on board. Nothing was missing but we did have to call maintence to get the jammed lock cut off,gave the guy a 5 dollar tip. We live in Florida so no airline travel was involved. This was my 9th cruise and never had this happen before. This was a very minor problem an we had a great time on the cruise. Bruce

I have heard as well that the lazy screeners cut them instead of unlocking them as they should. If there are any luggage screeners on this board, I would love to hear there interpretation of why they cut them.

That being said, I do believe the ones you buy from Sharper Image and Magellans will be replaced for free if they are cut.

My father is TSA, though works with the passengers, not just luggage. He is a Lead Screen "Officer" (changed the name from "person" to "officer" this week). I will ask him this evening about why they are cut. He has always recommended the tie-strips too - a lot cheaper than a lock to replace.

If someone wants in your luggage bad enough, a lock is not going to stop them. Sad, but true.

Archived