Things to Do - Eastern Med

Hi Guys,

Have scoured Trip Advisor, but on here to ask personal preferences.

Sailing Eastern Eastern Med in July. Sorted for excursions in Venice and Dubrovnik, but any suggestions and tips for Kotor, Olympia and Santorini which are other ports of call.

Additionally of these 3 if you were to pick a beach, which one would it be ?

Many Thanks in advance

In Santorini you want to go to Oia for sure. Extremely pretty and it's where the classic pictures of Greece with the blue domed churches are taken. If you can, take a private excursion because the cruise lines really pack the buses and don't give a lot of information about it - more just drop you off and let you wander around.

Also in Fira I would allow some time to stop at a café and enjoy some coffee/ tea and baklava. Wonderful views and very tasty desserts.

I actually did the cruise line excursion to Oia and it was nothing like the above poster said. The bus wasn't packed and it was a really good excursion. They do leave you to wander around by yourselves but it's easy to navigate Oia and I prefer to be able to do my own thing anyway. You're first off the ship and into the tender boats then you skip the cable car up altogether. It was one of the best shore excursions I've ever done. For Katakolon, we did a tour of Olympia with The Travel Insiders. Never been to Kotor so can't help you there I'm afraid but I've heard it's quite easy to do by yourself.

Hi, We are doing same cruise in July out of Venice. However we holidayed in Santorini last year.

Fira is where the ship will be tended. Choice to ascend the cliff is either cable car, walk (very tough - 100 and odd uneven steps and the weather will be scorchio) or on a donkey up the same steps.

Oia is beautiful, only downside of our cruises in July, is missing the sunset. Oia is very expensive for places to eat, more so if it commands a view over the caldera.

However Oia is doable by yourself. Local buses are a few euros per passenger and takes @1 hour each way depending on traffic as some of the roads are very narrow. Buses back to Fira could be quite busy, so allow time to return.

If you like a beer, try the yellow/red/crazy donkey. They are the local brewed beers and are excellent.

Ps. We sail on Rhapsody on 29th July. Enjoy your cruise.

• 3 months later...