Senegal stop

johnsells

We are on the Oceania Mariner in April, crossing the Atlantic, with a stop in Dakar, Senegal. It is the only port that has a recommendation for immunization for Yellow Fever and Malaria. The Sengelese website shows Yellow Fever immunization required if coming from a country known for it. We are not as far as I can see as the stops are in the Eastern Caribbean and Cape Verde just before. We will be on an all day tour, with a stop in a local village, plus lunch. We are debating the need for the shots, etc. Thoughts?

There are plenty of comments about this at the Roll Call for this cruise on Marina. See

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=52468075#post52468075

Some people are very cautious even though it's only one stop while others are willing to risk it foregoing the shot. Part of it is an age factor since in general the yellow fever shot is not recommended for seniors.

Both malaria and yellow fever are very nasty diseases and the consequences are far worse than the side effects of the shots ... in my opinion.

We were originally on this cruise although we have since cancelled. My doctor who recommended that we NOT get the yellow fever shot when we were in Brazil two years ago thought differently regarding Senegal. We took the malaria medication many years ago and had absolutely no problems with it.

Mura