Anyone been to Labadee lately?

Lilyruben

We went to Labadee at the end of October on Voyager of the Seas.

I have snorkeled the world including the Great Barrier Reef. I brought my own equipment (no life vest needed here ;) ) and snorkeled in front of the Lookout point. There are many live corals here, some of which I had never seen before. I thought this was one of the highlights of the trip.

It appears that there are good and bad spots to snorkel here. Go for the good one, you will not be disappointed. Also, recommend bringing your own gear, you probably only need a mask and snorkel anyways.

Also, one of the best photo ops was found on Labadee. One of the photog assistants donned the bottom half of a tuxedo and went out waist deep in the water. Cruisers got to have their photo taken with him pouring a glass of "seawater" champagne for them. Too much fun!!

Enjoy!!

What are all your thoughts about this Private Island?

I have been to other Private Islands and this was my least favorite. We went there back in 2002, so I wanted to know if they have any changes since then. I think the only thing I didn't like was the fact that I have a bad leg and I had to go along that rocky narrow path to get to the barbaque area and that was rough. I do like the sun, but the area by the barbaque was more for people that like the shade, so I had to go back to the other side of the Island to get some sun. We go again later next year and I am sure I will explore a little more and find a great spot to stay for the day.

We were there on the Oct. 21st Voyager trip.

My dh has his own snorkle gear and did not rent a vest.

We were at the mid point of the island between the water park and Dragon's Rock. He saw sea urchins. They tried to get him to move close into the beach but after seeing the sea urchins he got right out of the water and didn't go back in.

Labadee is not a private island; is is an area in Haiti controlled by the cruise line. They only allow Haitians who work there in the area.

If you have a hard time getting around they do have beach wheelchairs that came in very handy.

They now also have 3 picnic areas I think.

I had a good time there just relaxing. Did not do the craft market because I did not want the hassle.

Calm seas,

Caroline

Archived