The fist time to Alaska

GalaM

Hello!

Could you advice to choose a cruise, pls! What is the best route?

I'm considering about:

1. Emerald Princess

Seattle, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria/British Columbia, Seattle

2. HAL Oosterdam

Seattle, Puget Sound, Stephens Passage, Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria/British Columbia, Seattle

3. HAL Eurodam

Seattle, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria/British Columbia, Seattle

4. HAL Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, Cruise Inside Passage, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Cruise Inside Passage, Vancouver

Dates of departure 10-11 June.

Hello!

I'm considering about:

1. Emerald Princess

Seattle, Ketchikan, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Victoria/British Columbia, Seattle

2. HAL Oosterdam

Seattle, Puget Sound, Stephens Passage, Juneau, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria/British Columbia, Seattle

3. HAL Eurodam

Seattle, Juneau, Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan, Victoria/British Columbia, Seattle

4. HAL Nieuw Amsterdam

Vancouver, Cruise Inside Passage, Tracy Arm, Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, Cruise Inside Passage, Vancouver

These are all round trip cruises, so it seems that you have answered the one-way vs. RT question. Next, you need to research whether you want to see Sitka or Skagway and whether or not Glacier Bay is a priority. For many, but not me, Glacier Bay is a priority. If you will sail to Tracy Arm, you really must consider the small boat tour that takes you up close to the glacier - it's wonderful.

My ranking would be: #4 (you get both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay), #1, #3, and last #2 (doesn't have Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay, so I would eliminate that one straight off). But it's your cruise. It doesn't have to satisfy me.

It's very early in the season to expect that Tracy arm is a given.

I also think that you miss a lot doing RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a great example of why using these boards can be so frustrating to first-timers. Out of the myriad decisions to be made in selecting a trip, it would seem that the OP has decided on RT. There is nothing wrong with RT cruises. Some people like them, others don't. RT offers a lot of convenience in making travel arrangements. But posters can't help wanting to sort of save the OP from themselves, and in effect cast doubt on a decision that seems to be made. This can put the process back to square one and leave you with analysis paralysis - an inability to move forward with your plans for fear of making a mistake.:eek:

I've done a one-way and a RT. Both were wonderful. I don't think I missed out on anything.

My suggestion: First, choose the line that best suits your travel style and pricing needs. Second, pick an itinerary that hits the spots you really want to see. We have sailed Alaska 10 times, on three different cruise lines. Have loved all of the cruises. I have written several posts about the ports and the glaciers on my travel blog....http://www.zest4travel.wordpress.com Maybe it will help answer some of your questions.

Of the options listed, with the lack of criteria supplied as to what OP thinks is good/better/best, #4. Two days of glacier viewing, and seeing glaciers is a pretty safe 'major reason to cruise Alaska' default assumption. Plus, almost-certainly smoother sailing, with definitely better views on the first & last days from Vancouver compared to Seattle.

Whether it's enough better to justify higher price compared to other options - no idea. But it's definitely the qualitatively best itinerary of those listed - to the best of my ability to be objective.

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam is much more expensive.
There's a reason why the price is higher....

• Vancouver is a great port to explore pre and post-cruise. Lots of activities for a few days or a week.
  • I believe the Nieuw Amsterdam has a small boat excursion option in the morning that chases the mother ship in the afternoon into Juneau. The bonus Tracy Arm option may allow you to double or triple your glacier viewing opportunities along with Glacier Bay!

@GalaM: Have you thought about which month you are going??? Cost vs Dry Weather vs warmth vs wildlife vs storms.

• I like mid to late July. There's a reason why it is popular and cost more.
  • For those interested in Tracy Arm and Sawyer.... those first months can see ice congestion. Last year was a big anomaly as ice prevented entry until mid-August.

There are opportunities to save money with a Vancouver departure. Once you finalize a date.... we can suggest alternative value hotels that offers savings, especiallyfor a multi-day stay.

HAL Nieuw Amsterdam is much more expensive.

It varies. I compared Nieuw Amsterdam to Ruby Princess in late June 2018, and Princess was more expensive (though only trivially so).

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I've done a one-way and a RT. Both were wonderful. I don't think I missed out on anything.

I'm sorry that you didn't like my post. However, Tracy arm gets "missed" often in the season due to excessive ice. Not going to Tracy arm because of too much ice is therefore "missing" Tracy arm-- you may not have missed it, that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

I'm sorry that you didn't like my post. However, Tracy arm gets "missed" often in the season due to excessive ice. Not going to Tracy arm because of too much ice is therefore "missing" Tracy arm-- you may not have missed it, that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

Hi Denatravels - Apparently I misread your post. I thought you were advising against RT itineraries, whereas the OP was asking a very straightforward question as to which of the four itineraries (all RT) that you thought was best.

Of course, it is true that on any given cruise a port or other destination may be missed. I just would not base my decision on that possibility. Of course, you may see things differently. On one cruise, there was a storm and rough seas and we did not make it to Skagway. I still had a lovely cruise. The captain chose to sail into Endicott Arm on the day we should have been in Skagway. I don't feel that I missed a thing. Instead I gained time in Endicott Arm.

I think though that what ports and cruising locations that itineraries include and what they don't include are not only worthy of consideration but perhaps even the most important consideration to factor in.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I think though that what ports and cruising locations that itineraries include and what they don't include are not only worthy of consideration but perhaps even the most important consideration to factor in.

I agree. Which is why I suggested that perhaps the next decision for the OP is to determine whether Sitka or Skagway and whether Glacier Bay or Tracy Arm are of interest. Each of us must use some criteria to narrow down the long list of possible cruises. I personally don't factor in that any one port or destination may be missed because who knows? If Tracy Arm was my most important criterion, I would certainly try to stack the odds in my favor. But there is a lot that is simply out of your control. Weather and sea conditions are two of them.

Hello!

I'm considering about:

1. Emerald Princess

2. HAL Oosterdam

3. HAL Eurodam

4. HAL Nieuw Amsterdam

Re # 4: If Tracy Arm is noted a "SC", that means you need to take a "shore excursion" into Tracy Arm, which is not included in your cruise fare, AND means that you will spend less time in Juneau, once done the small boat excursion.

As for all the ones leaving from Seattle, check the port times. Having to stop in Victoria usually reduces how much time is spent in each port.

You really need to look at what is available for activities/tours in each port, and find the activities/tours that appeal most to you. Just because I would prefer Sitka over Skagway has ZERO meaning to you :)

Hello!

I'm considering about:

1. Emerald Princess

2. HAL Oosterdam

3. HAL Eurodam

4. HAL Nieuw Amsterdam

For me, Number 4, if the Tracy Arm is a 30 minute service call to allow passengers to take the excursion down the fjord (& you plan on taking it - I highly recommend that excursion, my favorite ever excursion) followed by 3, because it includes Glacier Bay.

If there isn't a service call at Tracy Arm, rather the cruise ship itself will enter the fjord then 3 & 4 are fairly even for me. (Sitka & Skagway would be the differentiating factors - Do you want to visit the Yukon or see America's Russian history or a Bird Sanctuary or a Bear Sanctuary... Decide & let that determine your choice.)

It's very early in the season to expect that Tracy arm is a given.

I also think that you miss a lot doing RT.

I've got nothing against R/T - it is my choice. (I'm doing a 14-night R/T out of Seattle in July, & I previously did a 7-night R/T out of Vancouver.)

But in 2012 early in June we were able to see both Sawyer Glaciers on our AK cruise. (We took the small boat excursion.)

With that said, in 2016, Tracy Arm was not accessible until August.

My suggestion: First, choose the line that best suits your travel style and pricing needs. Second, pick an itinerary that hits the spots you really want to see. We have sailed Alaska 10 times, on three different cruise lines. Have loved all of the cruises. I have written several posts about the ports and the glaciers on my travel blog....www.zest4travel.wordpress.com Maybe it will help answer some of your questions.

I disagree with the part that I underlined. I feel that you should choose what you want to see/do first & then choose the itinerary/cruise line that fits it.

That way you won't come back here asking why you can't do the small boat Tracy Arm excursion on your cruise, as one example.

Also, not all cruise lines go to Glacier Bay or Sitka.

I disagree with the part that I underlined. I feel that you should choose what you want to see/do first & then choose the itinerary/cruise line that fits it.

That way you won't come back here asking why you can't do the small boat Tracy Arm excursion on your cruise, as one example.

Also, not all cruise lines go to Glacier Bay or Sitka.

Agree, the cruise line is less important than seeing what you want in Alaska. A year ago we chose to go into the Yukon to see the gold rush history in Dawson City. It was a great choice but HAL was the only cruise line to offer a flight into Dawson. Don't like HAL as a cruise line but it turned to be a great experience. The ship really didn't matter.

I am also researching the same cruises. It appears Hal has the best prices

We are now would like to ask for thoughts on Canada and Alaska Cruise as this looks like the next for us in 2018 hopefully to see family in Vancouver as part of the holiday. Whats the best time to go etc. Just returned from Asia Cruise with Celebrity Millennium and had a look on board at the Celebrity Infinity as that sails there. Any thoughts would be a great help.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Bluewezzie

From what I have read, if Tracy Arm cannot be accessed by the ship, it is substituted by Endicott Arm. Which I've heard is just as nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are now would like to ask for thoughts on Canada and Alaska Cruise as this looks like the next for us in 2018 hopefully to see family in Vancouver as part of the holiday. Whats the best time to go etc.
Thoughts....

• Statistically... Alaska is driest April to July, Vancouver is driest mid-July to mid-August. One thought would be to start with a July Alaskan cruise and spend your extra days in Vancouver late July to time yourself for the dry weather. You might even get a chance to catch the annual fireworks competitions.
  • Vancouver is an incredible hub.... you can fly in/out of Calgary to include Banff. Others may be interested in adding Seattle. What I'm trying to say is think "open jaw" in your flight planning. Example.... fly into Calgary, one way bus to Vancouver including the Rockies. Go on the cruise and then return to Vancouver to continue your journey to Seattle (via Victoria?).
  • if you have family.... think at least a week in Vancouver... lots visitor activities.
  • if you need hotel ideas.... staying a few blocks from the cruise terminal offer value savings.