renting a Jeep in Georgetown?

Andocruiser

I'm new to the boards. My wife and I sail Nov. 27 on the Norwegian Jewel. In St. Thomas last year, we rented a jeep for the day and had a blast. Has anyone done this in the Caymans? Is it safe? What side of the road does everyone drive on? Any tips or suggestions? Thanks.

There is one rental car place that has an office close to the piers, but I don't remember the name....believe it is an Avis or Budget affiliation. True Jeeps (Wrangler) are rather pricey in GC...most are Suzukis and they are not as bad but still not inexpensive. We just got back from a week there and a Toyota Rav4 was $400+ for the week. You'll have to get a license for each driver which is about $10. Being a British Commonwealth, they do drive on the left and it is easier if you get a right hand drive vehicle(except for turning on the wipers when you want to use the turn signals). Gas is around $6/gal. Doesn't look that bad at the pumps because it is in Liters. With all that being said, it is still probably cheaper than going everywhere by cab if you want to tour the island. One last caveat.....the traffic at rush hour is very bad from Georgetown to Savanah going east and all along 7 Mile Beach, so plan accordingly.

Finally, while touring the island, stop at any of the small stores/gas stations and get some meat pies......they are awesome, especially the jerk chicken ones.

Wow, thanks budaman. Great information. And I think I found the Avis that you were talking about. A Wrangler for one day is only $80 -- and that includes the license, insurance and gas. Doesn't seem so bad to me. I think my wife and I paid that much last year in St. Thomas.

Driving on the left is much stranger in person than it is just reading about it. Take it slow and easy at first. The less populated East end would be where I would go. The traffic from Georgetown up the West end can be pretty nasty at times.

One of the harder things is remembering to look right before pulling out. Also it takes a little while to get used to the roundabouts, but once you figure it out, sure beats a traffic light!

The drive to the East end is very nice and the roads are in good shape. There was one area just before you get to Morritts that is graded but not paved yet but no problem even when it's wet(had lots of experience as we were there the week Wilma & Beta were affecting the area) From Georgetown(if not at rush hour) it will take about 40 minutes to get to the East End (Morritts has a very nice beach) and its about 30 minutes from there to Rum Point. Couple of very good eating establishments out that way...The Lighthouse & Portofino's. In town, the Lobster Pot is excellent also...it is just to the west of the piers before you get to 7 Mile Beach.

If you don't want to go all the way around the East End, there is a cut through just past Breakers, that comes out on the Northside that will cut travel time to Rum Point in half.

Mike

Archived