best restaurants

thatbloominplace

we will be in barbados for a week before heading over to puerto rico for a cruise. are there certain restaurants you would suggest? we have already booked the plantation, atlantis hotel sunday brunch, friday night at oistins, and brown sugar. i have tried unsuccessfully to reach carambola. are they closed. is there anything similar in terms of view and food. also, for a different night, we thought of going to the waterfront cafe on dixieland night.is this worth it? we will be staying at the hilton.

Yes, unfortunately Carambola closed (as in shut down) a few years ago. I think replaced by some time share property.. real shame actually. I might recommend either Calabasa, The Tides or The Cliff for the view, but the most expensive of those is The Cliff. I know the owners of the other two and would recommend either. for a different view you might try The Crane on the East Coast. One of the most breathtaking views is from this hotel. They have a restaurant that serves Bajan and Thai food as well as Sushi.

Brown Sugar has just reopened after burning down a year or so ago.. glad to have it back around.

Sounds like you have a very packed week. Enjoy yourself and make sure you see lots of the island. Do you have a tour booked. When are you headed to the island??

have a great stay and then a great cruise

we will be there jan. 8-17. staying at blue orchids for 3 nights and the hilton for 6. will be renting a car. planned our own driving tours, one to the east and another to the west coasts. when is the best time to go to the wildlife refuge that would increase our odds of seeing the monkeys. going to farley park one day for the jazzfest and the silver moon turtle and snorkeling trip. as already mentione, the fish fry on friday, atlantis brunch on sunday, and plantation roots and rhythms. any other specific thing to see or restaurant to go to. love local cuisine wherever we go, especially hot stuff. any roti places around either of the 2 hotels. thanks for the previous info.

steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HI Steve,

Lets see if I can answer some of the questions.

Wildlife Refuge and Monkeys - They say usually around 4pm is the best time. I've never seen them there (but I do occasionally get one hanging out in my Causarina Trees and eating our Bajan Cherry's.

I would go to Farley Hill on Saturday (might see you there). But check out the list of performers, if it makes a difference who you see. Take a blanket (I have a Neat Sheet and other ground coverings that we use as there is no place to sit (meaning no chairs unless you bring your own) Plan to go early and stay late and don't mind the crowds. Look for me in the upper left corner (if you are looking at the stage) at the top of the hill by the road. Hopefully will be there will family and friends in tow.

The Roti Hut is not to far from the Blue Orchid along the southcoast heading east. Just ask anyone, they can tell you where it is.

I have several suggestions for restaurant's but it depends on what you want. and honestly we don't go out for Bajan Food so I'm a little shacky on the local restaurants. However, I would recommend Waterfront Cafe (which will be jumping that week because of the Jazz Festival). You are already doing Oistens so thats a good thing.

Have a great time and enjoy your stay.

I don't know where your hotel is in relation to Oistins, but you may want to consider taking a taxi there. Traffic is pretty heavy and I bet you'd have to park pretty far away unless you get there early. Plus then you don't have to worry about a designated driver. I would not personally drive there, but since I drove in NYC for 16 years and now deal with DC traffic......I'll do a LOT to not deal with traffic on vacation!!! :D If the crowd/music is too much, there is a beach behind all the fish stands with picnic tables where it is a lot more subdued. It was a fun time for sure.

Archived