Is booking next cruise on board usually cheaper?

I noticed many folks on this board talk about booking next cruise on board a current cruise. I am wondering if most find that booking on board ends up being the best price-wise?

Thanks.

Same price as using Royal's website. However, booking on board gives you on board credit and reduced deposit.

If you book on board, you have 60 days to transfer that booking to a travel agent, in which case you can combine the OBC from the travel agent with that from booking on board.

If you book on board do you have to transfer it to a travel agent or can you handle the future reservation yourself?

You can keep the reservation yourself.

In fact, it's a good idea to tell the Next Cruise people up front that you want to keep the reservation yourself as they typically will use the same travel agent as you have used on the current cruise.

Last May on Adv of the Seas i booked Allure for this May paid $50 deposit. Transferred reservation to AAA bout a month later. Got a Free Speciality dinner, another $50 OBC & priority checkin. Will prob do same again in May.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks I just always prefer handling our travel and wanted to book our next one onboard but only if we could keep the control of it... appreciate your help

You're welcome.

I've booked on board several times, but I've concluded there's not much advantage. Lower deposit is okay, but then you have more to pay on the back end.

I debated booking our next summer Alaska cruise when I was on board Enchantment last week, but I went ahead and booked it by phone the week before when the 2018 schedule came out, mainly because we will have 5 people in our room so we need the Family Oceanview, and I didn't want that room to get away. I went to the Next Cruise desk on Enchantment anyway, to see if it would be worth "canceling and rebooking" to get any on board credit. For a 7 night Alaska cruise, I would have only gotten $50 OBC because of the Oceanview class room, and I didn't really care about converting my already-paid $250 per person deposit to a $50 per person deposit because that would leave more to pay off later.

If you're booking a long cruise at Balcony level room or higher, and getting at least $100 OBC, I think it's worth booking on board. Otherwise, not really.

I looked at an Alaska cruise with land portion when on board the Liberty in Nov. It was a case of sticker shock as I had priced cruises with other lines and RCI by far was more expensive. I did not book. I have a great TA and even transferring the booking didn't make sense on this price package.

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful. I think I will check it out but more likely than not I will skip onboard booking. I myself don't care for less deposit either.

You are free to put down more deposit if you wish.