Best time to do the alaska inside passage cruise?

macdays1

It depends on what's important to you and what your priorities are. Weather? Price? Wildlife? Glaciers? Salmon fishing?

I've cruised Alaska once in June and twice in August and have another June cruise this summer. I chose June for this one because my priority this time is salmon fishing and I want to catch that elusive King salmon and they run in June. I loved my August sailings for the amazing bear viewing options.

The issue with May is that there still can be a lot of ice which makes getting to Glaciers an issue. I would suggest going the far side of the middle if you are looking at price. I have been in May ( ice issues) and the end of June with 4th of July in Sitka which was great.

We cruised Alaska (r/t Seattle) because prices are cheaper and the mountain scenics still had snow on them. However, we ran into rain each day EXCEPT one. Sorry NCL, we cruised with Carnival because the upper decks aren't lined with glass walls. The amateur photographer in us knew we'd want to be able to see all around. Here is our writeup--> Alaska

We cruised r/t from Seattle and went in two days early since we had never been there before. Our write-up has some pictures of the hotel we stayed at. The amateur photographer in us enjoyed walking the halls looking at the photographs. Check out the mini-bar picture, still makes us chuckle. It rained during our stay but we came prepared with rain gear for us and our cameras. Here is our writeup--> Seattle

Considering May at this time. Any thoughts on that? What time would be better? Any ideas would be appreciated, including decent hotels in Seattle. Thanks!

I have been to Alaska five times - all in July, and the weather was great each time.

I love sailing either the first or second Alaskan cruise of the season out of Seattle. Most schools are not out for summer break so the ship has some children but not as many as you would have later in the season. Another reason is because once you reach Alaska, the mountains are still full pure white snow and the glaciers have not yet begun to calve (break off as much), the color of the ice is many shades of blue and white. It is beautiful.