Escape Review - March 18-25, 2017/Spring Break

williecruz

One week after our Spring Break cruise and thought we'd share a few bits from our trip. Still suffering post-holiday depression!

We are a family of three (10yr/old son) and this was our third sailing on Escape in about 10 months. On our first two trips we were lucky enough to obtain Vibe passes and we followed the same recipe for arrival in hopes of receiving them again. We live on the west coast of Florida so we always leave around 4:30am to drive to Miami.

Uh-oh...not a great way to start the trip...

enhance

The first two times we parked at Safe Cruise parking (off site parking with a shuttle to port). This time we drove straight to the port and parked onsite. We priced up Safe Cruise online prior and even with a coupon code the pricing was not a huge savings. On our second cruise we experienced a super long wait time for the shuttle so the wait time/price savings ratio lead us to port parking. We arrived at the port at approx 8:20am. Drove right in and found a space in about 2-3 minutes. Similar to your typical airport parking deck but with tighter spaces.

Covered parking for the hot Florida sun!

enhance

More to come.........................

We walked right across the street to Terminal Cwhere we found only three people waiting in line in front of the door ofsecurity. The first waiting stop is just inside before security opens up.

8:43am - First point of waiting - outside security.

enhance

Once they open the doors you'll want to be seated in one of the chairs along the walls. They will let the seated passengers go through security first. After the seats fill then they will direct you to wait in the center while standing. It fills up quick!

Patiently waiting....

enhance

Check in around 9:42am

enhance

Check in was a breeze—first ones to the counter but about 3rd up the escalator to obtain our Boarding Group Number

enhance

We were nervous about the new boarding procedure we had read about here on CC. Luckily the boarding was like our previous two times. Of course Haven, special needs then it was Group 1. We never heard anything about the different Latitudes levels, etc. The line starts building before 11 and you could feel the nervous energy of those secretly hoping for Vibe.

The calm before the storm....

enhance

They allowed us to board at approx. 11:16am. This is the first time I witnessed actual running. Got our numbered tickets at approx. 11:17am. Phew!

enhance

We also made a few restaurant reservations in Headliners before the lines grew too large. This process is so easy so don’t worry if you don’t have what you want prior to your cruise.

Since we have a child, we went down to Splash Academy on deck 5 to register him into the program. We were probably the first down there so this was quick and easy as well. On the first two cruises he was in a different age group (6-9). When he was 9 he felt a bit old with a bunch of 6 year olds so he wasn’t super excited going to SA before. Now that he’s 10 and in the dolphins (10-12) he liked it. More on that later….

Next, we did our traditional lunch at Taste (or maybe it was Savor). We pick the side with the better view (however the ship is docked). There has always been a crew member right outside trying to talk you into going up to the Garden Buffet for lunch. This time the crew member was a little pushy and was really trying to talk us into eating at the Buffet. I stuck to my guns and said we would eat in Taste.

My first drink of the day: Moscow Mule with a view..

enhance

After our lunch we were off to get a picture of the current officers:

enhance

We were glad to see that Jovo was back as Hotel Director! One thing that is great about the Escape is that you'll see the officers out and about on the ship the entire week. They are very present and approachable.

With an early sail away time we hit the muster drill then up to deck 19 for the best view.

Miami: Later Alligator!

enhance

With waking so early and that drive to the port we were a bit wiped out. Decided to hit up Garden Buffet. Turned out to be quite the view. Sat all the way in the back (the quietest spot) and had a lovely aft view of the sun setting over Miami.

Day 2:

Sea Day

Woke up to amazing weather. We were worried a little since the night before while leaving Miami proved to be quite windy and super chilly.

Spice H2O: early start to the day!

enhance

Note: many reminders throughout the cruise that chairs could not be held for more than 60 minutes. If no activity, personal belongings would be taken to Guest Services.

Next up: Meet and Greet. We organized our Roll Call's Cruise Critic Meet and Greet. We've organized them before which were always held in Cagney's. This time it was moved to The District Brew House. I have to say this location was a lot better for many reasons. The view is stunning at District! The crew continuously passed out flights of craft beer and hors d'oeuvres. Live music for our entertainment!

Visit from the Officers!

enhance

We had a great turn out! We took more pictures but I won't post out of respect of other's privacy. It was great to finally meet everyone from the roll call. It's fun to see familiar faces throughout the cruise!

I can't say enough great things about the officers and crew. They made a point to introduce themselves to all the members who attended.

It was Andre's first time as Cruise Director (far left in picture) as Tyler just left for vacation. We had met Andre on our previous cruises since he was Assistant Cruise Director. He did a fabulous job!

Third from left: Man on the Mic: Jovo, Hotel Director.

I highly recommend attending your Cruise Critic Roll Call Meet and Greet!!

View of the District Bar:

enhance

Following the Meet and Greet we walked across to Food Republic. We've been before and enjoyed it--our son loves sushi!

It was last call so we quickly ordered from the iPad. We ordered a sushi roll, sliders and pork belly. You can order drinks from The District Brew House.

Funky Buddha Floridian

enhance

Not your everyday lunch item: Pork Belly!

enhance

Day Two Night:

Went to the Captain's Cockail Reception in the Haven Courtyard. We had the pleasure of meeting our Captain, Master Giovanni Cutugno. We thoroughly enjoyed his daily announcements throughout the week!

After the reception we were off to Cagney's Steakhouse. Sadly no pictures here this time around but the food was amazing. We all ordered the filet and were not disappointed. If you love steak you should for sure make a point to eat here!

Day Three

Sea Day

Woke to more beautiful weather! We spent a good bit in Vibe while our son was at Splash Academy.

On the way to Vibe we witnessed the main pool area.

Gearing up for the Ms. Norwegian Escape contest:

enhance

We didn't spend time at the main pool--super crowded is not our bag and with Spring Break it was exceptionally populated. My husband went one morning for a quick swim in the pool before the crowds arrived.

Vibe: Our home away from home..

enhance

enhance

enhance

These pictures were actually taken while docked at St Thomas to show the area without people. The crew in Vibe (Rommel, Vincent and Michael) really took care of everyone the entire week. They make the best drinks.. with Toasted Almond being my new favorite. Every time I walked in they say, "Toasted Almond?!?!" They knew everyone's names, favorite drinks, your favorite seats, etc.

Later that night..... we went to Teppanyaki for dinner. We've been here on every cruise and it's one of our favorites. The chefs are quite entertaining and the amount of food is enormous! We typically order two adult meals (set price) and share with our son. It's more than enough with food left on the plate. Service was great that night!

Correct, no clam shells on Escape Vibe but they do have some adjustable double bed type loungers and umbrellas (in back behind regular loungers). They are nice in that you can still feel some breeze and have coverage of an umbrella (unless it's too windy for the umbrellas)

enhance

Correct, no clam shells on Escape Vibe but they do have some adjustable double bed type loungers and umbrellas (in back behind regular loungers). They are nice in that you can still feel some breeze and have coverage of an umbrella (unless it's too windy for the umbrellas)

enhance

And, I believe in some ships the beds are in front of the lounge chairs, best view of ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had such a great time meeting you guys and hanging out in Vibe all week! I'm still in post-cruise depression and have been researching nonstop for my next one. Loving the review so far and can't wait to read the rest.

Day Three

Sea Day

Woke to more beautiful weather! We spent a good bit in Vibe while our son was at Splash Academy.

On the way to Vibe we witnessed the main pool area.

Gearing up for the Ms. Norwegian Escape contest:

enhance

We didn't spend time at the main pool--super crowded is not our bag and with Spring Break it was exceptionally populated. My husband went one morning for a quick swim in the pool before the crowds arrived.

Vibe: Our home away from home..

enhance

enhance

enhance

These pictures were actually taken while docked at St Thomas to show the area without people. The crew in Vibe (Rommel, Vincent and Michael) really took care of everyone the entire week. They make the best drinks.. with Toasted Almond being my new favorite. Every time I walked in they say, "Toasted Almond?!?!" They knew everyone's names, favorite drinks, your favorite seats, etc.

Later that night..... we went to Teppanyaki for dinner. We've been here on every cruise and it's one of our favorites. The chefs are quite entertaining and the amount of food is enormous! We typically order two adult meals (set price) and share with our son. It's more than enough with food left on the plate. Service was great that night!

So funny you took these in a port day; we love Vibe on port days, cause no one's there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums