4A to 5A

rover11

Trying to save a little money for my next cruise. Ive sailed twice on the Dream in a 4A cabin, im looking at the Magic this next time, but in a 5A cabin. What are the differences in these cabins?

A cat 4 cabin is made to sleep 5 people. It is a LITTLE larger than a cat 5. On the Magic, it is all about location--a cat 5 C is the same cabin as a 5A or B How many of you are there? If only 3, there are some "secret verandah" cabins that used to book as cat 5s but now are charged as a cat 7 as there is a slight visual obstruction on the verandah. They are toward the aft and only hold 3 people (no ceiling bunk). We stayed in one on the Magic--the obstruction was so minimal that I might not have even noticed it and the savings is quite decent. These are the regular plexiglass balconies, not enclosed in any way. These "secret verandah" cabins are the same size as a cat 5, same split bath, etc.

If you care, these are the cabin numbers:

A Category 4A cabin is slightly deeper than a Category 5A. Most 4As have a drop-down bed by the veranda door. 5As do not have space for this bed, so the sofa is closer to the veranda door. On the Magic, that is pretty much the only difference. The bathrooms are the same in 4As and 5As. The desk may be slightly smaller in a 5A, but I am not sure.

So, unless you want the wall bed in addition to the queen bed, sofa bed, and bunk bed, you should be fine in a Category 5.

By the way, Category 6 rooms are identical to Category 5 except for their locations on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the assistance. there are 3 of us in the cabin. I think i will go with the 5A. Sounds like it wont be that much of a drop off from 4A. Itwont hurt to save a little $$. The cruise im looking at has a stop in key west. Doesnt sound that appealing, i think we will treat this as a sea day.