Whale Watching - 3 hours on water vs. 2 hours on water

MDCruiser130

I will be in Juneau on 4 July 2017. I have a helicopter/dog sled excursion booked through Coastal Helicopter at 5:15pm. I am interested in booking a morning whale watch tour and am looking for a company that has 3 hours on the water. Most of the ones I've found offer only 2 hours on the water. I figure the more time on the water, the more likely/more often I'll get to see whales. For those who have done the tours that only have 2 hours on the water, do you feel like it was enough time, or do you wish you had longer?

I know Harv and Marv have 3 hours on the water and the other one I've found is Allen Marine (through the cruise ship). Has anyone else found any other companies that offer 3 hours on the water? All the other companies (Juneau Whale Watch, Alaska-ShoreExcursions, Dolphin Tours, etc) only offer 2 hours on the water.

I'm also interested in visiting Mendenhall Glacier specifically to see Nugget Falls. I know Harv and Marv no longer drop off at Mendenhall so I could take a taxi to the glacier from the harbor and then either a taxi or shuttle back to Juneau. Is Nugget Falls visible from the Photo Overlook near the visitors center or do I have to take the trail all the way to the falls to see it? Harv and Marv's only tour that works for me is the 10:30 tour (they have a 7:30 tour but my ship doesn't get in until 8am). The 10:30 tour will end by 2:30-2:45. Would I be cutting it too close to take a taxi to Mendenhall at that time and get back into Juneau in time for my 5:15 helicopter tour or would I have enough time? Shuttle/taxi time from Mendenhall to Juneau is about 30 minutes if I'm remembering correctly.

Thanks in advance for the advice/recommendations.

Samantha

Have you checked with Gastineau Guiding? They work with the cruise lines, and also do custom tours.

I have looked at Gastineau but their time on the water is only 2 hours. I cant really do a custom because Im booking this excursion by myself. The rest of my group is not doing the helicopter and is doing a tour that wont work with my other heli tour time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Thoughts....

• for me 2 hours is enough on the water. My bladder can only go so long.
  • Yes Nugget Falls is visible from Photo Point..... but it's so much more majestic if you are able to hike
  • View from Photo Point
  • View from the end of Nugget Falls trail

My sister using a walker, can she get to nugget falls using a walker, is the path paved or rocky, etc?

MDCruiser - I agree with xlxo. If you can possibly find the time to walk up to Nugget Falls, you should do it. You will need a minimum of 1hr, though, for the walk. Ideally you would find an earlier whale watch. That 10:30 whale watch time sure seems to me like you're cutting it too close. This is why I say I never have enough time in Juneau.

hollon - I think it's possible depending on the person, but it's a longish walk. And near the end the ground is sandy and small gravel. I've only done it once. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in. Or post as a separate topic.

Thoughts....

• for me 2 hours is enough on the water. My bladder can only go so long.
  • Yes Nugget Falls is visible from Photo Point..... but it's so much more majestic if you are able to hike
  • View from Photo Point
  • View from the end of Nugget Falls trail

Thanks for your thoughts. I would definitely like to go to the falls if i have time, im just not sure its possible given that i want 3 hrs on the water and there doesnt seem to be an earlier tour.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We used Adventures in Alaska on our trip June 2015. I chose them since they offered more time on the water. I believe about 3.5 hours on the water. I enjoyed their tour.

It was a slow paced tour, giving us more time at each location to watch the whales.

I booked a longer tour thinking that more time on the water meant more stops to watch whales. Instead we spent more time at each location. The shorter tours saw as many whales as we did (maybe more), but just stayed at each location for less time. Actually, my daughter was on another tour at the same time as ours and was treated to a show by a baby whale as they returned to dock that we missed out on.

I say this in case you are thinking as I did that more time on the water means more whale sightings, but if you are looking for a slow paced tour that allows more time at each location then more time on the water would be a good choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

My sister using a walker, can she get to nugget falls using a walker, is the path paved or rocky, etc?
Photo point trail is paved.... Nugget Falls is not. Sometimes the trail is flooded.

If you follow the streetview path images, you can see segments where it's very difficult for wheeled devices.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@58.4258244,-134.5373164,3a,75y,345.11h,81.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-lAk9MGXJRoE%2FV1mTfxfoJ3I%2FAAAAAAABGeE%2F_hUVa-CAhoAdysQGPQTyMacNrXwCjFSDACJkC!2e4!7i5376!8i2688

Photo point trail is paved.... Nugget Falls is not. Sometimes the trail is flooded.

If you follow the streetview path images, you can see segments where it's very difficult for wheeled devices.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@58.4258244,-134.5373164,3a,75y,345.11h,81.06t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-lAk9MGXJRoE%2FV1mTfxfoJ3I%2FAAAAAAABGeE%2F_hUVa-CAhoAdysQGPQTyMacNrXwCjFSDACJkC!2e4!7i5376!8i2688

Thank you, so looks like there is no point in trying to go

If it was a few blocks.... I would attempt the compact gravel trail. But when it's over a mile return.... you need to consider the stamina of your companion with a walker on that rough trail. You can go for a few meters and then reassess.

As an experienced whale watcher I don't ever feel that I can get enough time on the water with whales . For me it is always a privilege to share their world with them. No two experiences are ever identical. Two boats may spend time with the same whales and one boat may see feeding or breaching and the other may see logging or traveling. In my opinion more time means you have a greater chance to see more behaviors. There have been many times that I have seen splashing in the distance and spied a whale exhibiting very active surface behaviors only to have the whale decide to nap or deep feed or rest once we have gotten closer to the whale (always following legal limits.) There have been just as many times that I have been peacefully observing a very quiet whale and suddenly the action becomes hot. They may have found a great patch of bait and begin surface feeding or randomly begin to breach or flipper slap.

You need to create the schedule that works for you, but for me the more time with whales in their home the better.