First time cruise (Summit)! Some questions...

official_wilko

A tip I just thought of... when dining in the Oceanview Café (buffet) if you don't want beverage service (purchased soda, wine, beer, mixed drink) place the drink placard that's on your table down on its side. This tells the bar service people that you don't need anything. The opposite is true, too... if you sit down and the placard is on its side, stand it up if you want to place a bev order!

Other tidbits I wish I'd learned early...

Ice cream bar... you can ask for a dish of the candy toppings (like M&Ms!).

The grill at the back of the Oceanview café is REALLY good.

Don't miss getting a waffle there in the morning, too!

Room service can be ordered by phone or on the tv.

Write in breakfast items on the room service menu... often you can get it (HOT boiled eggs, favorite yogurt flavor, fruit plate with NO melon, berries only, etc). FYI, beverages listed on the menu are "free".

Many of the slot machines are multi denominational... you can choose your bet. 1 cent, 5 cents, 25 cents or a dollar.

At dinner, you can order a steamed vegetable plate. It's not on any menu, but they will do it. I've also been able to get a bowl of berries for dessert. Unless they run low on them.

There are Sudoku and crossword puzzles available daily on a rack by Guest Relations each day.

If one of you goes for coffee/tea in the morning up to the café, bring the tray from your room to carry everything back. Also, we bring insulated mugs which I use to bring back extra hot coffee. And we get the larger mugs from the café and wash/store them in the cupboard. We don't like the small tea cups they bring with room service if we have breakfast in the cabin.

If you want to use the mini bar for your own things, you can ask your steward to remove the items or do it yourself. There's usually plenty of space in a lower cabinet for it all.

If you don't like your pillow, ask for a different one! They have different options available.

You can get extra hangers... ask.

Your luggage will fit under your bed. Leave it unzipped and pack away things you know you won't wear again. By the end of the cruise you'll be almost packed to go home.

Bring sticky notes to leave notes for your steward and each other. And a highlighter to mark the things you don't want to miss on the daily schedule, like Bingo. ;)

Get involved in your roll call for your cruise. It's so much fun to "meet" your fellow cruisers before you go. There are activities you can join in, too... like a meet & greet party, excursions, dinners, cabin crawl, slot machine pull, etc.

Use of a porter at disembarkation will get your through customs the fastest. Be sure to tip him!

Last bit of advice for packing. When in doubt, leave it out. If you're not SURE you need it, you don't need it!

How is the internet service on Summit? I need to do some work on my upcoming trip.

We had three of us with the unlimited package two weeks ago. We used phones and tablets and never had a problem with the connection. We did not do any major downloads so I can't speak to the speed of the connection, but it was strong enough anywhere on the ship we wanted to use it.

While doing work is never a great way to vacation, sitting at the oceanview bar on the back of deck 10 is a pretty good spot to do it!

We had three of us with the unlimited package two weeks ago. We used phones and tablets and never had a problem with the connection. We did not do any major downloads so I can't speak to the speed of the connection, but it was strong enough anywhere on the ship we wanted to use it.

While doing work is never a great way to vacation, sitting at the oceanview bar on the back of deck 10 is a pretty good spot to do it!

Thank you. We actually have an aft facing balcony room. Hope the connection is good enough from there. I won't have to work long, just a couple of hours on a Tuesday or Wednesday. Not enough to ruin the cruise!!