Essentials for a 6 year old

Question for those who have sailed Royal- so are the kids cups real glass? Do they at least have smaller glasses- like juice glasses? Or can we bring a plastic one from the buffet (surely those are plastic right). My 6 year old DD would be upset if I gave her a "sippy cup" because she is not a baby. But I am not sure if she can handle a big heavy full size glass.

I can't remember but I am cruising next week with a 6 year old! If I don't reply - post another reply to this thread to remind me and I will let you know!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Medicines definitely. Kids (mine at least) manages to get sick at the most inopportune times. For example a couple years ago (she was 4), we flew to Orlando for a Disney cruise. Middle of the night Friday night (cruise leaves the next day), she starts screaming bloody murder about her ears. We were in Cocoa beach and no minute clinics or anything except a real urgent care clinic which did not open until 10 or 11. So we ended up using dr. google to find a home remedy of some ear drops and make a trip to CVS for supplies. Found out after we returned that she did have an ear infection. The drops and ibuprofen kept her more comfortable.

I also like to bring a couple of very small toys. Like figurines, small stuffed animals, a barbie or something. We usually pack a backpack with a couple of toys and prepackaged snacks to take on excursions, meds, light blanket (which will also be used in the car) which is her carry on bag.

She will have her tablet because I am not driving 12+ hours to Galveston without something to keep her entertained in the car. I don't think she will be allowed to use it outside of the cabin though- because I am afraid of her losing it.

Sunscreen and life jacket, floaties or puddle jumper are needed for beach excursions.

The key IMO is to try to keep things small. If it can fit in her backpack, she can carry it and then its not a big deal.

Question for those who have sailed Royal- so are the kids cups real glass? Do they at least have smaller glasses- like juice glasses? Or can we bring a plastic one from the buffet (surely those are plastic right). My 6 year old DD would be upset if I gave her a "sippy cup" because she is not a baby. But I am not sure if she can handle a big heavy full size glass.

As a previous poster mentioned, we bring the take and toss cups. They have lids and a straw if you want or you can use them without. They are disposable so you don't have to carry them around after you eat but we usually head back to the room anyway and just wash it out. They come in a pack. I don't really consider them a sippy cup, more like a kids cup you get from a restaurant.

As a previous poster mentioned, we bring the take and toss cups. They have lids and a straw if you want or you can use them without. They are disposable so you don't have to carry them around after you eat but we usually head back to the room anyway and just wash it out. They come in a pack. I don't really consider them a sippy cup, more like a kids cup you get from a restaurant.

I will have to look. The ones I have bought in the pass were a sippy cup lid.

Dd was 5 when we cruised last year and she did fine with the glass cups in the mdr.

It only took us one night at dinner to not want to do that again! My daughter was fine with the normal glass until of course the night we were all in white :/

Dd was 5 when we cruised last year and she did fine with the glass cups in the mdr.

DS was 9 last cruise and due to the condensation on his water glass, he dropped and broke it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medicines definitely. Kids (mine at least) manages to get sick at the most inopportune times. For example a couple years ago (she was 4), we flew to Orlando for a Disney cruise. Middle of the night Friday night (cruise leaves the next day), she starts screaming bloody murder about her ears. We were in Cocoa beach and no minute clinics or anything except a real urgent care clinic which did not open until 10 or 11. So we ended up using dr. google to find a home remedy of some ear drops and make a trip to CVS for supplies. Found out after we returned that she did have an ear infection. The drops and ibuprofen kept her more comfortable.

Just off the Allure. The small juice glasses exist, but we only saw them from room service and maybe at the MDR during breakfast. The cups in the Windjammer are the standard plastic cups (12oz? I am terrible at estimating).

For our 4yo, we brought a flip-top water bottle. We didn't take it everywhere, but it was easy to pour water in there and keep it contained. Nice for getting off the ship too.

Also, if you ever need to see the ship's doctor for an ear infection, at least on the Allure, it was a pretty quick process! DD had swimmer's ear, and they gave her an ear spray and an antibiotic. I don't think they had children's pain meds, as the doctor seemed relieved we brought her ibuprofen. We will also always bring Advil, Tylenol and Benadryl just in case now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These are the cups that I bring: https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Take-Spill-Proof-Straw/dp/B0054YZDWC/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1491827096&sr=1-2&keywords=take+and+toss+cups

In the buffet, you can find plastic cups if you want to grab some and keep them on hand. On Freedom of the Seas, we were able to pick up disposable coffee cups with lids in Cafe Promenade (which was convenient if we forgot our cup in the stateroom).

I neglected to mention that I also bring glow sticks for my son. We bring a pack of the ones that are bracelets for him to have one each evening when going to sleep (for him it helps with the dark unfamiliar room and he enjoys the treat of getting to play with one while falling asleep). We also bring slightly bigger ones and put one in the bathroom sink each evening. It makes enough light to see in the bathroom at night without having to turn on any lights. They can go in the water, so you can just wash your hands with it in the sink and toss it in the trash the next morning. I pick up both of these at the Dollar store.