Swimming laps

islanderr

My wife is a swimmer and asks if there is a pool suitable for lap swimming on the QM2? We've looked at the photos of the Pavilion Pool, which might do the trick, but it has no lane set aside for lap swimming. Any advice from swimmers?

Not sure about QM2 but I know the QE's pools are so small that you can only really swim in them when nobody else is in the pool. Even then it is only about 7 or 8 strokes from one end to another (unless the motion of the ocean is helping or hindering your movement).

Pavilion Pool is fine as long as you can get a time when it's empty or at least very quiet. It's fairly short, about 10m I'd guess. I am usually able to swim as soon as it opens in the morning, but it wouldn't take more than three people swimming lengths to fill it so it very much depends on the passenger mix. Another good time is when first sitting for dinner starts, but again, you only need a few people thinking the same for it to be impossible. There are no lanes set aside and during the day it wouldn't be possible at all as people generally just stand in the pool and talk.

The outdoor pool is slightly longer and always quieter first thing, but obviously very itinerary led. I haven't tried it on a November Atlantic crossing............

An alternative to both is the Therapy Pool in the Spa. It's tiny so swimming lengths isn't possible, but it does have a decent series of pressure jets at the one end. Designed for massage they are powerful enough to swim against in a static position as long as you don't swim too hard. Downside is, of course, that you have to pay to use the Spa. It's not that much for a pass for the whole voyage, but even after the refit, the facilities are looking old and outdated and frequently break down. We lost the pool for three consecutive days on our last trip.

The deck 8 pool is probably best and yes would not be more than 8-10m long, suggest you bring a band (for your feet) or just do drills like the window wiper etc to get a better workout. Even if swimming gently and without pushing off, you will reach the end in about 4 strokes

As a former distance swimmer, I would say that the QM2 pools are too small and too short for lap swimming. Go to the fitness center instead, it's good. Or take long walks on deck which are terrific.