Don't want to make an "Epic" mistake, lol....

dinkydee718

In the process of booking August Barcelona cruise on the Epic. Only thing really holding us back is that airfare for the family is seriously almost as much as the cruise :eek:. That said, if we decide to actually do this...we would be sailing in a Haven 2-Bedroom Villa with Balcony. They said they have a couple cabins available on pool deck and a couple one deck above. Wondering if anyone can shed light on whether one deck is better than the other on Epic. I don't know the ship's layout and so I'm not sure about noise, smoke, crowds...

Also, does Epic have any large waterslides like Breakaway and Escape do?

Have you checked Google Flights. We did and saved quite a bit flying to NYC and then taking a business class flight to Europe for our cruise this September. It was a significant savings just to move our departure by one day but Google gave us different prices for different carriers. We ended up deciding on Delta.

Have you checked Google Flights. We did and saved quite a bit flying to NYC and then taking a business class flight to Europe for our cruise this September. It was a significant savings just to move our departure by one day but Google gave us different prices for different carriers. We ended up deciding on Delta.

OMG, I never heard of Google Flights before (no, I don't live under a rock), but I just looked and I can get nonstop flights for less than what my 10hr lay-over flights were quoted as! Thank you so much for this advice! hands-down best information I have been given!

In the process of booking August Barcelona cruise on the Epic. Only thing really holding us back is that airfare for the family is seriously almost as much as the cruise :eek:. That said, if we decide to actually do this...we would be sailing in a Haven 2-Bedroom Villa with Balcony. They said they have a couple cabins available on pool deck and a couple one deck above. Wondering if anyone can shed light on whether one deck is better than the other on Epic. I don't know the ship's layout and so I'm not sure about noise, smoke, crowds...

Also, does Epic have any large waterslides like Breakaway and Escape do?

Yes, it has a large waterslide with a cauldron in it. Not quite as big a Breakaway and Escape but still very good. There is also a smaller regular slide.

I assume the pool is the Haven pool rather than the main ship pool. Cabins on that deck are directly above the Buffet, so you may get a bit of noise filter through. But all the Haven facilities are on that level so there is some added convenience by being there.

I didn't use Google flights but can attest to trying various combinations of departure and return dates, even different cities. I know it's a pain but a good way to possibly save couple hundred per ticket.

You can also look at some credit card deals a few have 50K miles free with 2-4K spent (you can use it to pay for the cruise or insurance , car/home) then get some flights for free. British airways usually has an offer but they charge a large amount for fees but you can use the points on partner airlines with better fee structure.

Chase 50000 points fee waived first year equals 625 for airfare

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/sapphire/compare?CELL=6H8X&AFFID=SWlnSnn6x54-kgn.LtDuNGRWDpYnu3EpIQ&pvid=c12eed6ea4d74973aac112246bfccf82&jp_cmp=cc/477182/aff/15-31363/na

http://www.creditcards.org/air-miles-credit-cards?os-campaign_id=300665838&os-adgroup_id=21905325798&os-matchtype=b&os-network=g&os-device=c&os-ad_id=169621871408&os-keyword=%2Bair%20%2Bmiles%20%2Bcard&os-keyword_id=kwd-23847131869&os-position=1t3&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ppc&os-placement=&os-target=&gclid=CO6GmaalmNMCFQYDaQodCj0Piw

You can also look at some credit card deals a few have 50K miles free with 2-4K spent (you can use it to pay for the cruise or insurance , car/home) then get some flights for free.

I am LOVING this board today! Great idea, thank you! I just applied for Chase Sapphire Preferred online and was approved in 30 seconds. Thinking I'll pay the cruise balance and airfare on it, pay it off to avoid interest and then get free flights for our next vacay! Thanks for the advice!