Help Picking Tour Operator - Sting Ray City

VA_gal

I've briefly checked out the recommendations and looked at their web sites. I've narrowed it down to these choices. I hope you can comment on your experiences - the pros and cons. It's my first cruise to top the cake. I'm completely out of my element here.

Soto's Cruise

Moby Dick

Don Foster's

Bucaneer

I haven't seen anything negative on these operators. The biggest thing for me is not being cramped on a boat. We're heading down in early June. I know it's going to be vacation time for folks and I can take that into consideration.

Also, since I'm new to cruising. The boat is to arrive at 8:00 a.m. and we have to take a tender over. Could you give an estimate time when we'd be on the island? I know it's not an exact time and schedules can change. Any helpful tips on getting on one of the first tenders?

Should we definitely hit 7 mile beach after our tour? What time should I head back to catch the tender back to the boat?

TIA!

One thing you should be aware of is that Stingray City is a different tour than Stingray Sandbar. Stingray sandbar is an offshore sandbar where you can stand in waist/chest deep water and interact with lots of rays. Stingray city is nearby in an area of water about 12 feet deep so you swim/dive with the rays. Some people prefer one or the other.

Check with your tour operator regarding your port/tender times in the morning. I would allow 45 minutes before last tender for the return time since the line for tenders can be quite long. 7 Mile Beach isn't too far (depending on where you go of course), even the far end shouldn't take more than 10 minutes or so by cab. So, if you leave the beach an hour before last tender you should be fine. You might want to check out how many ships will be in port your day.

We tried Soto's and had a great time. There was 14 passengers on a boat that can hold 40+. It was very easy to get in and out of the water off the back of the boat. We went to the sandbar after snorkeling. My sister had never snorkeled before and we all had a great time.

Soto's only takes passengers who have pre-registered from the website or the local hotels from what the driver told us. It was nice not to have to wait until they sold their tour to people getting off the tenders so that they could fill their boat with passengers.

I've used Moby Dick, and had a great time. The sandbar and the nearby reef snorkeling were great! The boat wasn't crowded at all. I think there was about 12 people in our group. They had a clean bathroom and served juice and water onboard. The crew was very informative (on the stingrays and Grand Cayman in general) they were patiant with new snorkelers for the reef section of the tour and were very safe.

Several of us booked with them again this past April, but due to a terrible sunburn, I opted to cancel and stay ashore (in the shade) that day.

If I ever want to do the sandbar again, I'd certainly use Moby Dick.

People seem to think Soto's is up and running. I emailed them last week and phone dthere toll free number this morning (nov 21/05) in St. Pete, both indicated that they ARE NOT going to Stingray City and haven't since Ivan hit last year. If somebody knows different please advise.

If Soto's isn't/hasn't been going to the Stingray City Sandbar since Ivan, I guess my trip with them 2 weeks ago was a dream. They are still going & they were terrific. This was the 2nd time that I used them. My review is posted on this board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=256208.

Maybe the confusion is that Bob Soto, the father, was big into diving & owned a dive shop. I think that he is retired. Randy, one of the son's, have no idea how many children, runs http://www.sotoscruises.com along with his wife Kerry.

Based on two trips, and having seen what you can get with other operators, I'm sure that you won't be dissapointed using Soto's.

Here is a cut and paste of the email;

We are sorry but at this time we are not operational.

So we will not be able to assist you .

Bob Soto's

Reservation office

Reef Fanta Seas

4127 5th Ave N

St Petersburg Fl 33713

Phone 727-323-8727

800-262-7686

Fax 727-323-8827

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 09:08:30 -0700, GPS GIO wrote:

> Arriving on the NCL Sun (Tendering not Docking) on Thursday January 5. NCL Sun is

> scheduled from 9 am to 3 pm. Looking to take 4 adults. 13 yr old, a 8 yr old and a 5

> yr old to Stingray City. 7 of us total.

>

> Are you taking reservations?

My husband and I just went last week.....we went with Moby Dick's. We booked when we got off the boat- we had a 1 pm meeting at the dock. By the time we got out to the sandbar, it was probably 2:15 pm- so there were only 4 other boats on the sandbar (there were 5 other cruise ships in port that day) The girl on the boat said that it was pretty quiet with only the 4 other boats there. She took pics with her underwater camera and we could purchase them (on a CD) right there. She also gave us her email addy so if we wanted to purchase pics later we could.

The crew was great.....the boat was good size with a bathroom. They served juice and water and brought the rays to us to hold. They also provided squid to feed the rays. I can't say enough good things about them- for $40 pp we got transportation to and from the boat, the ride out to the rays, swim/feed the rays, snorkel equipment and a chance to buy cool pics from them. We did bring our 3 1/2 year old but didnt' pay for him (I"m glad cause he wouldn't go into the water) I would definitely use them again.

From everything I've heard, Soto's Cruises just can't be beat. Small groups of people, convenient times, and fast boat, so the entire tour is only about two hours, leaving lots of time for other things during your day. Plus they'll drop you off at 7 Mile Beach if you like.

Be sure you check out the Cayman Activity Guide website (see the add flashing along the banner at the top of this page)......there is a ton of information there, discount coupons you can print out, videos to watch. Much more!

Check it out!

(and yes, it's the Soto's dive operation that unfortunately hasn't reopened, and won't. Soto's Cruises is thriving)

Charlene

Archived