Bow cabin verandah Zuiderdam upper verandah

lg rover

I am wondering if anyone has sailed in a bow verandah handicapped room. I plan to sail with my daughter and friends on March 18th and noticed the front cabins on upper verandah deck on the Zuiderdam. They look tobe quite bid and someone in a past post stated they were the size of a ss suite. The verandah looks huge also. I also saw in previous post where the person staying in the cabin said the noise during docking was the sound of an earthquake. I would love to see pictures, if anyone has them of theese cabins #VA6003 and 6004. Thanks

I am wondering if anyone has sailed in a bow verandah handicapped room. I plan to sail with my daughter and friends on March 18th and noticed the front cabins on upper verandah deck on the Zuiderdam. They look tobe quite bid and someone in a past post stated they were the size of a ss suite. The verandah looks huge also. I also saw in previous post where the person staying in the cabin said the noise during docking was the sound of an earthquake. I would love to see pictures, if anyone has them of theese cabins #VA6003 and 6004. Thanks

DH and I have sailed in 6003 and/or 6004 on the Zuiderdam, Oosterdam and Westerdam. Just returned from the Westerdam this morning.

These are both handicapped-accessible rooms. There is more floor space than in a regular verandah cabin, to accommodate a person with a scooter or wheelchair. There are no threshholds. In the bathroom the toilet is raised and there are ample grab-bars. There is also a roll-in shower -- no bath tub.

The verandah is standard size for that class of cabin. What you may see on the deck plans may look like a HUGE balcony, but it is not. There is a small deck forward of 6003/6004, a public space open to anyone. It is not connected to the balconies of 6003/6004.

6003/6004 are NOT the same size as an SS HC room. They are much smaller, and there is not as much storage space.

We stayed in an SS HC room on the Zuiderdam in May, and I visited the same room on the Westerdam this week to refresh my memory.

An SS HC room does have a tub and roll-in shower [not a Jacuzzi tub] and it has one sink. The bathroom in an SS is much bigger than those in 6003/6004.

DH prefers the bathroom layout of the verandah cabin, as the accessible shower in the SS cabins are adjacent to the toilet, and when you close the shower curtain, you and the toilet are on the same side. Makes for a wet toilet area.

DH is in a powerchair and is thankful that HAL continues to listen to the needs of people with disabilities, and makes every effort to accommodate those passengers.

A Vista ship has approximately 921 cabins for able-bodied people, and 28 for handicapped people.

My sister and I shared 6004 on the Oosterdam last year. Neither of us is handicapped, but it was the only one available. It was larger than the regular staterooms, but certainly no S or SS suite. The balcony was regular size but, as it was windy, could not be used at all.

The bathroom was not convenient for us. The shower was roll-in, with only a curtain around it, so there was water everywhere - a big chore to mop up.

For anyone in a wheelchair it would be comfortable; lots of space to turn, and no thresholds.

My sister and I shared 6004 on the Oosterdam last year. Neither of us is handicapped, but it was the only one available. It was larger than the regular staterooms, but certainly SS suite. The balcony was the regular cabin size but it was windy and could not be used at all. Same with the small bow deck.

The bathroom was not convenient for us, but would be for someone in a wheelchair. The shower was roll-in, with only a curtain around it, so there was water everywhere - a big chore to mop up.

For anyone in a wheelchair the 6004 would be comfortable; lots of space to turn, and no thresholds.

Archived