La Spezia Port Questions

sedaniel

Hello! We are traveling to La Spezia on an upcoming September 2017 cruise. I have a few questions I was hoping previous travelers to this city could help shed some light on.

1. Is it possible to do all five Cinque Terra cities in one day? We have from 7:00am-7:00pm in this port. If not, which ones are the highlights?

2. We were also looking into the Castello di San Giorgio, but I noticed on the museum's website it says they are open "Wednesday through Sunday." Is there anyone who can confirm that they would not be open on a Tuesday then? Does this mean that just the museum part is closed, or is the whole castle closed?

3. Would it be feasible to visit 1-2 Cinque Terra cities and then visit the castle (assuming it is open) later in the day?

Thank you for any feedback - it's greatly appreciated as we have never been to this region before!

We tendered off Portovenere and had time to do 2 of the 5 villages plus have a good look at Portovenere which is lovely. Just be aware that ferries don't run for a couple of hours during the day - trains were not running when we were there and it did take a while to go from place to place by ferry.

Sent from my SM-J200Y using Forums mobile app

If you are pressed for time the must sees are Riomaggiore , Manarola & Vernazza.

The coastal path between Riomaggiore & Manarola is still chiuso (closed) as at April, 2017.

Easily walked in 1 hour or so is the coastal path between Vernazza & Corniglia, very spectacular.

i am concerned about not feeling too rushed. Going to go on our own, which i suppose means we will be the last ones allowed to leave the ship? Then, will we be waiting a long time once at the train station to board, because all the excursion folks will have already gotten there?

Finally, to not feel too rushed, we were just going to visit 2 towns. maybe Rio and the next one . Should we ride the train all the way to Manarola and then hike back to Rio. Or should we get off in Rio and hike to Manarola? Just wondering which would have the best chance of missing crowds.

Thanks!

[quote=jjones1622;52852388

Finally, to not feel too rushed, we were just going to visit 2 towns. maybe Rio and the next one . Should we ride the train all the way to Manarola and then hike back to Rio. Or should we get off in Rio and hike to Manarola?

Thanks![/quote

The path from Riomaggiore to Manarola and the path from Manarola to Corniglia are both closed indefinitely.

Maybe hike from Vernazza to Corniglia and visit Manarola and Riomaggiore by train.