Viking or Scenic Grand European Tour for first timers to river cruising.

Kingofcool1947

This is late, but one thing to keep in mind is that alcohol is amazingly cheap in Europe. In fact, soft drinks and bottled water can be more expensive, which is completely crazy to the american mind. :) I've lived in Germany for the last five months, and when my husband visits, his bill for three tiny coke lights plus a large still water is often more expensive than his meal. So, you really aren't paying extra for inclusive alcohol.

What about cocktails like margaritas made with Cointreau or White Russians? Cocktails like these are cheaper than soft drinks or bottled water? I don't drink beer and drink very little wine but enjoy a couple of cocktails a day on Scenic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Stay away from Viking! 190 passengers per ship, take a look at Tauck, same size ship, but only 130 passengers, makes a much better less crowded experience. Also I'm not sure an 18 day river cruise would be my first choice for someone your age. River cruises are very quiet, nothing at all like an ocean cruises. A 7day first experience will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Could not disagree more. Love Viking. Have been on 6 cruises and have 4 more booked.

What about cocktails like margaritas made with Cointreau or White Russians? Cocktails like these are cheaper than soft drinks or bottled water? I don't drink beer and drink very little wine but enjoy a couple of cocktails a day on Scenic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cocktails, while more reasonable than in the US often, are more expensive. Here's a drink menu that gives you an idea:

http://www.leos-duesseldorf.de/alkoholfreie-getraenke/

A 0.2 liter serving of coca cola lite is 2.20

A draft beer (VELTIN PILS) of the same size is 1.80.

Although to be honest, I'd go with the 0.5l Alt which is 3.80.

A white russian is 6.00.

I have not seen a margarita with cointreau in germany, but honestly, I've only seen margaritas in touristy or party places, and they are typically frozen.

I should mention that those prices include tax, and you'd not be expected to tip over 10%.

Now how this translates to on board, I don't know.

Edited by polabear
forgot to mention that they include tax.