Caribbean ports Dec 8 cruise

bonni99

Hi All, I know this may be a bit of a lame post- but my partner and I are going on the Dec 8 Explorers Caribbean cruise. Having never been to the Caribbean before and only ever having sailed on transatlantic crossings I wondered if any seasoned travellers could give me any hints/tips for the ports- are there things to do right near where the ship docks or tenders or does everything involve lots of travel- and are taxis etc reasonable? We are thinking of taking a couple of the unard excursions but wondered if others also do their own thing and if so any hints or suggestions?

Hi bonni99,

This will be the fourth cruise for my wife and I to the Caribbean from New York City. The previous three cruises were on the Queen Elizabeth 2.

You should have by now the Shore Excursion Information booklet from Cunard. If you read through it, it gives you an idea of what is available at each island call. Also the Itinerary page informs you which islands the ship will be at dockside or anchored in the port.

These two items help you to determine the time element of shore excursions with Cunard or on your own. It is difficult to determine how many passengers sign up for shore excursions with Cunard or do it on their own. I am sure there are good numbers for each choice. There are also many passengers who stay onboard and relax on the decks and swim in the pools.

It is safe to say that in all the island stops, there are always local sight seeing cabs, cars, vans, etc. waiting for customers. That presents a problem of negotiating a price (make sure it is roundtrip back to the harbor) and if the AC will be used during your travel with them. Coming from the UK, the Caribbean warm sun will surprise your body's thermostat.

The plus of booking on board at the Tour Office with Cunard is that everything is arranged for you and charged to your account. This way you do not have to have ready cash in your pocket on shore. Also if a Cunard tour is ever late for the return to the ship, the Captain will wait for you. If you are late on your own, the ship leaves as scheduled. The plus of doing it on your own or with some fellow passengers that you meet, is that it will probably cost less and you can choose where to go.

My wife and I have always booked with the Tour Office on board, but we have met many others who did their own thing ashore. So, I guess it is your call.

I am sure you are aware if you have read these Boards, that there is a get together planned on board for Cruise Critic members. Right now the plans are for the second day at sea. A Cruise Critic couple have volunteered to contact the Social Hostess and have the meeting time posted in the Daily Programme. There are previous postings on this Board about the get together. It is being done by Alan and Anne. Maybe they will read this post and provide more detais for you.

Hope to say hello to you onboard.

Terrence (Terry) and Loretta

Archived