On Our Own or a Tour Guide? Mr. Barbados?

tapia

Thanks!

For some reason I don't see any messages after the one I posted on February 28???

If I hadn't subscribed to this thread I might never have known someone answered me!

Plant

Hi rjscott,

We're also going to visit the synagogue in St. Thomas.

We'll be in Barbados on a Saturday, so I guess we'll just have to look at the outside of the synagogue there.

The cruise we're on (Sun Princess) has a Jewish Heritage tour in Curacao. I hope it's still available when we go. We have to wait until November :(

Thanks,

Plant

HI Plant,

Even thought it's going to be closed, still try to walk over to the Synagogue. It's a very nice building.

There is a Jewish Community in Barbados and they do try to make sure the Synagogue is in good condition.

Just to let you know, we did rent a car in Barbados, as we have in many islands. I am a pretty good navigator, and we have never gotten lost before, but we were sooo lost in Barbados. I thought we were going north and east, and we actually came upon the cruise ship--southwest part of the island! So after that shock, we never lost sight of the ocean, so we knew where we were. Also, the drive on the left, and although dh did a fabulous job, it was nerve wracking. We are returning in May, and we're letting someone else drive this time! It is one of the prettiest islands, and if you drive, you have to concentrate so hard on the other side of the road issue, that I'm sure you miss a fair amount of the scenery. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...
Just to let you know, we did rent a car in Barbados, as we have in many islands. I am a pretty good navigator, and we have never gotten lost before, but we were sooo lost in Barbados. I thought we were going north and east, and we actually came upon the cruise ship--southwest part of the island! So after that shock, we never lost sight of the ocean, so we knew where we were. Also, the drive on the left, and although dh did a fabulous job, it was nerve wracking. We are returning in May, and we're letting someone else drive this time! It is one of the prettiest islands, and if you drive, you have to concentrate so hard on the other side of the road issue, that I'm sure you miss a fair amount of the scenery. Enjoy!

I second this!

There's a definate reason why almost all the car rental co. have left the port area. We were very surprised, from a previous visit. they were all over the port renting mini mokes. this time only 1 car rental at the port area.

Somehow this island just became difficult to navigate. it could be lack of signage??? the map we had was very extensive but i guess it should have been a landmark map because that was always the directions we got turn left at the sugar cane feild or church or blue house...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Capebreck,

Do you have an email address for Ali? Or does anyone else that has been to Barbados lately? We will be there on April 28th & he sounds like a great guide. I'd like to prearrange something. Or does anyone else have someone that they could recommend, as well?:)

Dixiecat

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I have been searching for and didn't find contact info for a tour guide for Barbados - heard of Ali, but how to contact? Looking for the one that was $35 per person - there are just two of us, and looking for a good land tour. Thanks,

• 2 years later...

nothing, really, for Barbados. We are THINKING of getting a taxi and going to Orchid World, Gun Hill, an Bathsheba. Gun Hill is not a big deal but I yearn to shoot some photos at Bathsheba and one of our ladies LOVES orchids.

Does anyone know the average time and cost to do this? We planned on 4 hours and between $120 and $160 US Dollars.

Locals? Is there a great place along the way we should be seeing?

Archived