NCL Escape - Eastern in January. Excursion info from been-there, done-thats...

LSKC

Now that we are 100% confident and excited with our choice of the Escape and the Eastern itinerary... I would love to hear from anyone that did an excursion (Not NCL related) that they really enjoyed and recommend. Something you found on-line or a DIY excursion that came together nicely with a little research. I don't see anything on the NCL website that really appeals to me for the $ amt (we are a family of 5) and the short amt of time that some of them allow you to enjoy these excursions.

St Thomas 8-6

Tortola 7-3

Nassau 12-7

So far these are our thoughts but I'm looking for details...or photos/videos'...or anything you think might appeal to us. I will let you now our kids will be 17, 14 and 9 at time of sailing... a bit of an age gap there. They are active kids and would prefer beach/water/boat than an island tour, history and otherwise. They will be beginner snorkelers and all of them would like to try this at one port (either by beach or boat).

St. Thomas list of ideas so far includes: (we've done Coki/Ocean world on previous cruise)

1) Sapphire Beach - this one appeals to me b/c I have read its easy and fast to get to, cheap (just taxi) and good snorkelling from beach.

2) I've always wanted to visit St. John so this one really peeks my interest and since our day is long - we could swing it. Not cheap or simple to navigate but do-able. Torn between all the nice beaches. Don't like packed beaches but do like amenities like clean bathrooms, rentals (snorkelling and possibly beach loungers).

3) Full day snorkel catamaran adventure - New Horizons gave us a good price range of $500 ($95 pp including no discount for 9 yr old) for 2 snorkel spots and lunch/drinks included.

Tortola:

1) Aristocats catamaran day sail from 8 - 2pm (awfully close to all aboard) -gave us a price range of around $540 includes snorkelling (Norman/Indians), buffet lunch and drinks. Looks fantastic but pricey for the 5 of us on a short day.

2) Brewer's Bay will only cost us about $80 (cabs) plus any food or drinks at beach... sounds like a lovely beach and not too busy but wondering if the bathrooms are nice and if the food/drinks on this beach are good or just meh? The other option I read was Cane Garden which looks very busy but more amenities.

3) The other option is to diy to VG/Baths but I'm not sure we really have enough time. I don't like to feel rushed and a DIY on such a limited day has me imagining us running for the ship at the end of day. Cost for it looks like around $225 total plus food/drinks.

Nassau: I'm really drawing a blank. Not interested in Atlantis or Junkanoo Beach (free).

1) Hilton British Colonial seems like a good deal b/c of the food credit and could be a relaxing day at a pool ...since I have a feeling we won't be using the main pool much on the ship - its so small! Cost is about $270 for the day inc/ most of our food and a few drinks.

2) would love some advice on a reasonable water excursion perhaps since I'm not interested in exploring Nassau by land much.

So as you can see I've done enough research that I know the obvious ones but would love to hear personal experiences with any of these listed or NEW ideas welcome too for sure :)

Thanks.

We did Cane garden bay beach but with ncl. We loved the beach with nice little waves and didnt found that was so crowed. Yes there is a lot if people but not a problem for us and the loungers and umbrella are not expensive.

We are also in the "been there, done that" category. I don't have any input on St. Thomas or Tortola, but in Nassau we plan to go paddle boarding at Cable Beach. We found a company that gets great reviews with a quick Google search that will deliver and pick up the boards as well as point out a nice area to snorkel from the boards. We leave on the 29th so it's just an idea, I can't give a first-hand review.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

We loved Sapphire Beach in St Thomas. It was great beginning snorkeling for us. Here's my review from that port with lots of photos to give you an idea of what it looks like:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2195031&page=3

Thank you. That beach looks so pretty. Great photos. Definitely considering it. Wish we had 2 days in st thomas and zero in Nassau, Bahamas :) I'd stay on St. Thomas one day and visit St. John on the other :)

We sailed on the same ship/itinerary in February and did the following (kids were 12,11,7)

St Thomas - private snorkel with Web at st Thomas snorkel and scuba. It was just us and he brought along a marine biologist to help. He picked us up at the pier. First stop was snorkel

With sea turtles, second was snorkel a reef. Highly recommend. Great guy, very knowledgeable and accommodating.

Tortola - Escape to Jost Van Dyke - loved this! Stunning beach. My only

Complaint is that it's not a long day. Would absolutely go back.

Nassau - Blue Lagoon - kids loved it - I think it is geared to younger kids than what yours are.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have taken about a dozen snorkeling excursions and Aristocat's is my favorite.

I was most impressed with the crew. They were especially great with beginners and one of them was in the water to assist anyone that wanted help.

I will use them again and highly recommend them. Do not worry about time; we were not rushed. I think it's a fair price for 6 hours of fun, open bar and lots of food.

Tortola:

1) Aristocats catamaran day sail from 8 - 2pm (awfully close to all aboard) -gave us a price range of around $540 includes snorkelling (Norman/Indians), buffet lunch and drinks. Looks fantastic but pricey for the 5 of us on a short day.

2) Brewer's Bay will only cost us about $80 (cabs) plus any food or drinks at beach... sounds like a lovely beach and not too busy but wondering if the bathrooms are nice and if the food/drinks on this beach are good or just meh? The other option I read was Cane Garden which looks very busy but more amenities.

3) The other option is to diy to VG/Baths but I'm not sure we really have enough time. I don't like to feel rushed and a DIY on such a limited day has me imagining us running for the ship at the end of day. Cost for it looks like around $225 total plus food/drinks.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...