Just got back from the Golden 5 minutes ago

kitty555

I know. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] Can someone please tell us if Stephen from Liverpool and Brian from Canada are still part of the cruise staff on the Golden?

*Alicia*

Golden Princess 4/10/04
*best vacation ever!*

On Monday (At Sea)at 9:45 is the 'Price is Right' Game Show
Followed by:
Karaoke Party
with
Wenty and Brian
of the cruise staff

I don't know if this is the Brian you're talking about.

Also on the same day at 2:30pm there is Adult Doubles Ping Pong Tournament- with Stephen organizing the games.

I don't know if that's the Stephen you're talking about.

These 2 names are listed under a lot of activities during the week. They don't give any last names though.

Mark- Golf
Stephen- seems to do a lot of game/tournament and Trivia type games

Computer person has a first and last name: Candy Zullosky

There is an M.C.: Deputy Cruise Directory with the name 'Kelly'

Also the name Kevin as part of the cruise staff shows up.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kitty555:
Hi. I will post my review tomorrow. Our flight just got in from San Juan a couple of hours ago. We did the Southern Cruise that went to Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, etc...

Dear Kitty,

We will be on this cruise at the end of October and are really excited. We are trying to decide between a cabin on the starboard or port side. Which is better in your opinion on this itinerary? We've heard that on one side you wake up to the view of whichever island you are visiting each morning which sounds wonderful!

Kitty,
I do think those are the two Meagan and I are talking about. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] They were two of the main reasons why our cruise was so much fun. Thanks so much for letting us know that they're still there. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img][img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

*Alicia*

Golden Princess 4/10/04
*best vacation ever!*

Thanks Kitty. The sea turtles sound awesome. I am also sensitive to smoke but used to smoke. As I get older it bothers me more. We went on the Explorer last summer and I don't remember smelling smoke anywhere. I am not sure if there was a smoking area.
Were there any classes during the cruise. I had read somewhere that there were computer and pottery classes on some ships.

I faxed my request for the egg crates twice just to be sure. How was the weather in ports? I don't know where you live but if you had the humidity and heat today that we had in NH it must have felt like being on the islands.

Have you caught up on the laundry yet?
Pat

cruisinfirst

We rented a wheel chair from a local drug store for the week of our Golden Princess cruise when we took my mother-in-law last year.

It really helped out in the airport and on the ship. There are a few bumps between the door ways on the ship that might be a little hard to get over but if you go backwards or put your foot on one of the 2 medal things at the back of the wheels while your push up it makes it a lot easier. You'll have to practice with this.

Advantages of taking a wheel chair also include not having to walk down the long pier areas in some of the ports like St. Maarten.

A wheel chair also helps carry packages when you come back from the ports such as liquor boxes etc...

I'll have to ask my huband which side of the ship port or starboard had the better view.

I think port is left if I remember correctly and it might have a better view. I'll email you back as soon as soon as I find out. He was glued to our balcony the whole time.

Start researching for a wheel chair now from drug stores or see if you can find a cheap used one for sale in the news paper. I think it's not a bad item to have around just in case you have someone that has a hard time walking around for too long.

Pat,

I do remember them saying that the sea turtles were very big. I'm sad that I missed that.
Most of the Golden was really not bad as far as smoking goes. Another person that posted a review here said it didn't bother them at all. So maybe I'm just extra sensitive.

There was once when we were walking through the photo area that someone was smoking as they were walking through and it was so bad.

They were walking right in front of me and I kept saying "where is that awful smoke smell coming from, I need to get out of here, that is so rude". I was so embarrassed when I noticed it was the guy walking right in front of me. I felt like an idiot. I ended up being the one that was rude I guess.

There are computer classes every day while you're on the ship. There are also Ceramics with Kevin Potocky. They had fish dishes and other items you could make or paint.

There are all sorts of fitness classes to such as pilates and group cycling.

Here is a description from the 1st day Princess Patter:

Scholarship at Sea Program

As "sea scholars", you are offered the latest enrichment courses from topics that include: Culinary Arts, Computer Learning, Visual and Creative Arts and more. Please check your Course Guide, located in your stateroom, for exact times and locations. Additionally, Computers@sea small group instruction will be offered for some interactive courses for a fee. Space is limited and exact details and reservations are available at the Purser's Desk, Deck 6.

By the way THE MORNING SHOW with Gavin is every day on Channel 21 at 6:00am to 10:00am daily.

Our weather in ports was great. Every day it would rain just a little but we always seemed to be either under the water scuba diving at the time it was raining or in a shop. We were very lucky. It was hot. And the sun was out. A couple of days it was parly cloudy.

That was the bad part about renting a jeep was because it was just too hot to not have windows and air-conditioning.

My shoulders are still burned. My face got burned too. I just didn't think I would get burned that fast in St. Lucia. I think it happened in 20 minutes or less. The top of my head was burned too which didn't make it too good for fixing my hair on formal night.

Just don't forget the sun screen and a tube of aloe just in case you do get burned. And a hat. A hat with a tie around your neck helps because it is some times very windy when you get off the ship in the ports.

I haven't caught up on the laundry yet. My house was spotless before I left because I always like to come home to a clean house but now it looks like a tornado has hit.

I've got rum cakes (or empty boxes now) all over the tables. 14 rolls of film that I got developed in the 1 hour photo and haven't had time to put them in an album or show anyone.

I finally stopped feeling like I was walking on a ship today. The rocking stopped unfortunately [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

It's funny because I don't like it when I'm on the ship but I sure like the feeling when I get home. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Makes you feel like you're still on the cruise except for now I have to figure out when and where I'm going to eat every night.

cruisinfirst

I just wish my mom would have gone with us on this trip.

What does your husband not like about crusing? My husband didn't like Carnival at all but after our first Princess cruise he loved cruising. He likes all the ports and being able to rent cars in the island and explore on our own. Also the scuba diving has gotten him interested in going on more cruises.

Unfortunately he doesn't like water. This will be my first cruise because I've never been able to get him to go. It works out well for mom though. I try to take a trip with her every year while she can travel (she has lupus and major joint problems) and this year we decided on this cruise. We're both excited about the Golden!
PS- You are correct - port is the left side if you are at the back of the ship looking toward the front.

Starboard is the 'RED RUG'

Port is the 'BLUE RUG'

Best view of port is Port Side.

That's great though that you and your mom get to spend time together. She'll enjoy you wheeling around in the wheel chair. They all say they don't want you to have to do that but my mother and mother in law really enjoyed the ride. It also made me feel like I was burning a few extra calories by pushing the wheel chair. My arms felt stronger after a week.

I was wondering if there was anyplace at the pier to park a car. I was thinking we might rent a car the day before as that is when we arrive. We are staying at the Hilton. On the day of the cruise I was thinking we would check in drop our stuff have lunch then go sight seeing with the rental car. Was there parking near the pier, and do you know if there was a charge?

Thank you for all your information.

blueh20
Public Parking is available adjacent to the pier. The charge is $7.00 per day.

We rented a car at the San Juan airport from Hertz and were very happy with them.
We picked up the car Saturday at the airport at 3:00pm so we had to turn it in on Sunday at 3:00pm.

We staid at the Wydham Old San Juan hotel and didn't check out until 11am. We decided to drive to the pier and drop off our luggage only and not check in because we just didn't have time to stand in the line to check in outside and then wait in the line inside go to the cabin etc...
If you do drop off your luggage only just make sure to drive all the way up to where the porters are and tell them fast that you are only dropping off your luggage and not checking in. That way you don't have to wait in any line.

We then drove around Old San Juan for a couple of hours and then took the car back to the Caribe Hilton. You just park the car in the parking deck there on deck 2 or 3 and check out with Hertz at the desk located outside near the shops at the hotel.

You then have to take a 8/10 dollar taxi ride to the pier. You can also drop off the rental car in the Condado area and get a free shuttle to the pier but I think they only do this until 3pm.

The parking lot at the pier is right there at the pier. It's not paved but you could easily park there and walk across the steet with luggage and check in.
Checking in does take between an hour and an 2 hours though.
Renting a car would be cheaper though than taking a taxi around. The streets in Old San Juan are pretty narrow so be careful.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hertz or another rental car place might be able to give more detail.

Pan American dock in Isla Grande,

LOCKERS AT PORT:Not Available

TO/FROM AIRPORT:15 miles, approximately 20 minutes.
(Dependant on traffic.)

TRANSPORTATION:Taxis are available.

Approximately $20.00 one way.
(Rates subject to change.)

PARKING:Public parking is available adjacent to the pier. The charge is $7.00 per day.

DIRECTIONS:FROM LUIS MUNOZ MARIN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT: Exit airport and take Baldorioty
de Castro Avenue, also Route 26, to connect with Munoz Rivera Avenue, exit onto Fernandez Juncos Avenue, which will connect with Marina Street
(Port 1 is the last port on this street).

blueh20

I just thought of something. I'm not sure when you were going to rent the car but if you just want it for the day of sailing you won't have much time to use it. A bus tour that includes tours of the forts, capital, and shopping is only around 20 per person and then you wouldn't have to worry about luggage.

I'm not sure if you don't mind missing out on dinner and the emergency drill, and all the activities on the ship the first day.

Thanks for all the wonderful information. My DH and I will be cruising at the end of Oct with the same ports of call.

I have a question in regards to taking stuff with you on the excursions. When you went on the water excursions (scuba, etc), did you end up taking any sealable pouches to store money, cruise card, etc? How do you safe guard personal items?

My husband took an otter box that he wore around his neck on a string that's attached to it. It is water proof up to 100 feet.

We put our money, cruise cards, and credit cards in this little box. You never need to carry your passport with you in the ports. You only need your driver's license if you're going to drive some where.

St. Thomas is the only place you'll need to show your passport when you get off the ship, but you actually show it to customs in the Vista Lounge so you could probably take your passport back to your room if you wanted.

The otter box was big enough though to fit the passports.

For the scuba trips we also brought our scuba bags with gear on the tour. That was safe as you left it on the boat with the captain.

My husband tied the otter box to the BCD pocket really well when we went under the water.

Never a dumb question here!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] Ask away. When you reply to a topic, that topic goes to the top of the board ahead of the other topics. So a "bump up" moves it to the top of the page.

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Hi Kitty, great information, thanks for taking the time! Could you tell me if the ship changed time zones or stayed on the same time the whole trip? Thanks! I tried search for this repetitive question, but of course it doesn't work!
Kathy

Till two weeks on the Golden Princess!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;2;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly!
Kathy

Till two weeks on the Golden Princess!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;2;6;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Archived