Newly diagnosed diabetic...question?

I 100% agree that alcohol affects everyone's body differently, and this includes diabetics. I also agree that diabetics should be very careful eating or drinking anything they are not used to.

Different sugar alcohols have different insulin responses. The best sugar alcohol of them all is erythritol. It's what's used (99%) in Truvia. It also doesn't cause gas and bloating like others do.

Here are the contacts you can use. I tried emailing them for one issue, and received a response three days later. I called about another issue, and it was resolved on the phone right away. So....it would seem that a phone call would be better?

specialneeds@carnival.com ....or call 1-800-438-6744, ext 70025.

Calorie King is a great carb counting book. My 21 year old has T1 and eats anything he wants, just counts carbs and boluses. He is on an insulin pump as well. We always get the medicine cooler from guest services once we get on board. He doesn't eat sugar free because there are still carbs and most sugar free foods contain sugar alcohol which mess with your stomach and not in a good way. His endo has always told him eat the good tasting stuff just bolus for carbs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

It isn't just fruity drinks he needs to be careful with drinking. It is alcohol in general.

When the alcohol hits the body, the already malfunctioning liver in a diabetic switches to just detoxing the alcohol (as it also does in a non-diabetic) and doesn't do it's already impaired job of helping regulate blood sugar.

Once the alcohol is handles, bang! the blood sugar level is addressed which is what causes the temporary lowering of the blood sugar.

Any diabetic should be very careful with drinking alcohol and monitor their blood glucose levels if indulging.

My son's nurse said the liver can only do one function at a time. So exactly what you said. But the liver in a diabetic isn't malfunctioning at all, it is the pancreas that is "malfunctioning".

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

my son's nurse said the liver can only do one function at a time. So exactly what you said. But the liver in a diabetic isn't malfunctioning at all, it is the pancreas that is "malfunctioning".

yes!! Exactly!