book a forward balcony or a wake balcony

Cruisenrev

It is cold in Iowa and I am looking forward to my next cruise in 40 days. We are so cold that we just book a wake balcony cabin on the Tahitian Princess for Jan 07. The question is: is a forward balcony better than a wake balcony?

Thank you for your imput.

Frozen, almost in Iowa

It is cold in Iowa and I am looking forward to my next cruise in 40 days. We are so cold that we just book a wake balcony cabin on the Tahitian Princess for Jan 07. The question is: is a forward balcony better than a wake balcony? Thank you for your imput. Frozen, almost in Iowa

My vote would be wake. The forward would be very windy whenever the ship is sailing. Ever go to the front of the ship when you can barely stand up. Sometimes they even close access to the forward areas. I would think it would be unusable during the times the ship is sailing into the wind. ... I would also think you would have wind noise blowing through the slider. :confused:

Never had either. One question I would ask about the aft balcony is whether you would have soot problems. I know on some ships I have sailed the aft furniture can get covered with soot if the winds are right :eek:

3 years ago, by accident, we were booked in a wake balcony cabin. Our friends who went with us, by accident got a forward balcony cabin. It took us exactly 3 1/2 minutes to walk from one cabin to another... Boy did we have fun getting together everyday! ha

Anyway... we had a wrap-around deck and LOVED IT! I can't even begin to tell you how much we enjoyed our own private world, especially at night watching the wake and the stars on our balcony. We slept like babies with only a gentle roll each night rocking us to sleep. Would book this room everytime if we could afford it!

Our friends who stayed at the front also enjoyed their cabin. However, at night when the ship was moving, we barely could stand outside! It was always pitch black and the wind seemed to pick us up at times. Very scary. Also, we could always feel the motion of the ship. Up and down mostly. When we hit rough seas one night, I became very nauseated and had to walk back to my room and rest. However, our friends would take that cabin again also.

So, if you want a peaceful and relaxing ride, take the wake balcony. If you want an adventure... go with the forward.To each his own I say!

Another thought on the forward balconies, aside from the wind problem.

When entering a port, the vibration and noise from the thrusters (and anchor chains if tendering) can be a rude wakeup call.

We were on Oceania's Regatta (a sister ship to Pacific and Tahitian Princess),

into the Baltic Aug 05, and sis-in-law had a far forward cabin (not balcony) and did complain of the early morning noise and vibration. We were midships, and never heard or felt a thing!

Thank you for the info. We cruised the TP in 2003. We were on the third trip that princess made. We had some bugs son that trip, but loved the ship and the ports.

This is a major anniversary for us (35) so we are spending the money to enjoy this trip.

I would enjoy other comments - so have at it.

PS anyone else going on 1/16/07??

On the NCL Dawn I had an aft balcony and a couple in our CC group had a forward suite. We viewed each other's cabin and his had 2 doors to open going to the balcony. One was a regular door and the outer looked like one you see leading into a bank vault. There was no slider but several large picture windows. On some of the cooler days when it was too windy for passengers on the pool deck, I was quite comfortable in the sun on my aft balcony. On the Carnival Spirit their gym was at the front of the ship and you could view the walkers on the pathway going around the ship. They were almost blown over on one windy day and it was comical watching them hanging on for dear life.

John L.

I vote for Aft (wake) balconies also.

However in voting so I want to suggest that different ships have different style aft balconies.

I know on the Grand (and sister ships) the balconies are a straight drop down to the sea! From shore it looked like the were all even with each other ... and I did not care for that (never been but looked that way).

On the Sea (I think it was a trans-Canal) Princess the aft cabins were built in a 'tier' strucuture .. where the lowest deck was farther out .. then the next deck a little farther in .. While I could NOT see the balcony below mine . there was a 'hump' going outwards that made the distance look 'less of a drop'. These tiered balconies were more like side balconies in that you were never really really at the very very edge looking straight down to the water.

I prefered the 'sloped' design ... tho it depends on the ship.

That said I have had side balconies that were ALWAYS in the shade and not liked them either!

Archived