Booking Chankanaab dolphin encounter times through Carnival vs. direct

moobear67

I posted this on the Cozumel board, but not having much luck getting an answer, so thought I'd try here:

The Carnival price for Chankanaab Dolphin Encounter is clearly more than booking direct ahead of time and taking a taxi. However, it looks like you can only get a 1:00 or 3:30 time for the encounter if you book direct. The excursion through Carnival says that the times they depart the port for the excursion is 10:30, 11:30 or 12:30. Does that mean if you want to do the actual dolphin encounter in the morning you can only book through Carnival, or are those times just for the transportation to Chankanaab, and your actual dolphin encounter time will still end up being 1:00 or 3:30? Anyone have experience with this?

We booked through carnival last March and chose the 11:00 time and that was when we were sorted into our groups for the encounter. We all loved it, we were a group of 8 friends and family and got to be in our own group. My grandboys loved it, ages 3, 5, and 11.

We booked through carnival last March and chose the 11:00 time and that was when we were sorted into our groups for the encounter. We all loved it, we were a group of 8 friends and family and got to be in our own group. My grandboys loved it, ages 3, 5, and 11.

Thanks! So if you signed up for the 11:00 time and that's when you got sorted into your groups, what time did you meet your transportation at the port to get to Chankanaab? Was it a half hour earlier? An hour earlier? And how much time after the encounter did you get to hang out at Chankanaab? Thanks!

I ended up booking myself direct when Chakanaab had a great early booking sale. Saved over $70 if I remember right; and was able to be on my own schedule.

I was travelling solo and still had no issues. Taxi's available right at the port. Upgraded for $15 for Manatees when I got to the site with their offer and they gave me free taxi coupon included. Best decision I ever made.

It is definitely a valid option to do this one DIY. I didn't mention I was on a cruise when booking and they definitely didn't ask.

It was a great time. Definitely plan on doing Chakanaab again with doing both dolphins and manatee programs i still didn't have all the time I would have liked to snorkel and look around.

Have fun whichever way you decide to go.

I ended up booking myself direct when Chakanaab had a great early booking sale. Saved over $70 if I remember right; and was able to be on my own schedule.

I was travelling solo and still had no issues. Taxi's available right at the port. Upgraded for $15 for Manatees when I got to the site with their offer and they gave me free taxi coupon included. Best decision I ever made.

It is definitely a valid option to do this one DIY. I didn't mention I was on a cruise when booking and they definitely didn't ask.

It was a great time. Definitely plan on doing Chakanaab again with doing both dolphins and manatee programs i still didn't have all the time I would have liked to snorkel and look around.

Have fun whichever way you decide to go.

Thanks! Were there taxis waiting at Chankanaab to bring people back to the ship or did you have to call for one? Also, was your dolphin encounter in the afternoon? It seems like they only offer 1:00 and 3:30 times if you book direct. Carnival bookings offer morning times. Thanks!

I can't remember but "I think" there were taxis waiting. I remember being surprised how effortless it all was. The ticket desk is right at the front of Chakanaab and I'm sure they would call a a taxi for you if there wasn't one waiting.

However since it is such a popular destination I'm fairly sure taxis wait at the front. I know I didn't wait at all for one

I'm fairly sure I did a 11am (the cruise arrived at 9 so I felt fairly secure in making a earlier reservation. The taxis are always there waiting to take you so again the advantage of doing your own reservation is you have the full choices of options offered by the site. Left the cruise ship at 9:30 or so and came back a couple of hours before we left Cozumel. The two tours were about 2 1/2 hrs with waiting time before. Really enjoyable time.

I can't remember but "I think" there were taxis waiting. I remember being surprised how effortless it all was. The ticket desk is right at the front of Chakanaab and I'm sure they would call a a taxi for you if there wasn't one waiting.

However since it is such a popular destination I'm fairly sure taxis wait at the front. I know I didn't wait at all for one

I'm fairly sure I did a 11am (the cruise arrived at 9 so I felt fairly secure in making a earlier reservation. The taxis are always there waiting to take you so again the advantage of doing your own reservation is you have the full choices of options offered by the site. Left the cruise ship at 9:30 or so and came back a couple of hours before we left Cozumel. The two tours were about 2 1/2 hrs with waiting time before. Really enjoyable time.

I'm glad to hear that it was effortless! Thanks!

We booked this directly through Dolphin Discovery for our July cruise. We did it all through chat with someone at the company. She offered us an 11:00 time slot that wasn't offered on the website.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's good to know. Thanks!