when are GTY. cabins assigned

detroitcruiser

Generally, but not always, the GTY cabin assignments are made after final payments are done. That way the line knows how many people who made deposits are not going, thus releasing cabin assignments. I got my upgrade to Concierge level a little over a month before my sailing on 12/11/05...that is I got in about two weeks ago. I had booked a GTY balcony and got the upgrade. I had paid in full at the time of my reservation in August. That may have had something to do with the upgrade, plus I am Captains Club member.

You have to remember that not all TAs (especially big online ones) pay your ticket in full, even if you pay up front.

They may just pay the deposit to the cruise line and leave the balance in an interest bearing account until final payment is due, and clear a few extra bucks in the process. It's perfectly legit and legal to do so.

So if you book direct and pay in full you may get your assignment in a week or so, but through a TA you may not get it until a month or so before sailing.

But whatever happens, you won't get your assignment until your fare is paid in full.

But whatever happens, you won't get your assignment until your fare is paid in full.

I haven't paid the balance for our Constellation 02/11/06 balcony guarantee booking, and we've already got a cabin assignment.

booked a guarantee outside while sailing on Zenith's 11/5/05 sailing. Came home and 2 days after making my deposit, I had my room assigned.

Good luck........I would like to think that since they haven't assigned yet and you're only 23 days out, you might get an upgrade! Will keep my fingers crossed for ya! :)

Ocngypz, I actually booked an inside gty. my agent was fairly confident that he would get me upgraded to an outside and then I was going to take your approach of a paid upgrade on the day of. I know you have had great luck with this. I think I remember you upgrading from an inside to the PH suite once?

What are the tricks? I wonder what availability is like for my sailing?

At this point there are more inside cabins available than outsides. There is a $300 difference between inside and outside gty's. Truthfully, I wouldn't count on a complimentary upgrade by Celebrity. Cat 4 and 5 are sold out. Cat 6 is gty, Cat 7 has 1, Cat 8 is gty. Concierge Class (no balcony) has the most availability.

The ship is very well sold... and nearing sold out status.. except in the suite categories.

Yes, I have had good luck with onboard upgrades... but I've also booked the more expensive cabins to start with... so the upgrading didn't take as big of a chunk out of the wallet to move up. The story you are thinking of was a Mex Riv cruise. I started with an inside Cat 9, paid $35 more during a re-fare to get a Cat 2 balcony, then my fare was reduced by $100 because I had a coupon, then I upgraded onboard to the Penthouse Suite thanks to the kindness of the social hostess and the chief concierge.

I would try online again... only first clear cookies....then go into Celebrity's website and try to see if your assignment has been made.

Ocngypz, you called it correct, got a cat. 11 behing guest relations. I am going to have to try my luck with a paid upgrade on day of. I am just wondering what the normal charges are for paid upgrades on board. I was on an alaska cruise and the PH suite was 1500 pp. from a standard outside. What do you find the usual cost to be fore balcony and suite cabns on board from an inside.

I don't THINK there is a hard and fast rule about it. it seems rather arbitrary. Someone said there is a chart (table) showing how much an upgrade will cost from one category to the next. i believe it was inside to outside, outside to balcony, balcony to cc, cc to sky suite, sky suite to royal etc., not cat 12 to 11, 10 to 9 etc. Therefore you could jump from the lowest, 12 to a 9, lowest outside for the same fee it would cost if you had a 10 inside to start with and moved up to a 9 outside. The rooms themselves, until you get to CC are the same size (except the FV), so you're just paying for a window, or a balcony on top of the standard inside cabin price. I've heard that someone asked if he could buy an upgrade and the response was "yes, for the whole price difference." So you just don't know.

I know you are supposed to see the Pier Coordinator, but I've never seen a prominent sign directing you to him. I think if you go straight to him before check in you can do the upgrade and check in all at one time, without switching lines. am i correct?

Archived