Recommendation for strapless bra

mrsbunder

Hi, I've searched high and low for a strapless bra that is even the slightest bit supportive. I'm a 34D, but the laws of gravity have taken over, so I'm a bit more droopy than when I was younger! I was wondering about the gel-type bra cups that just stick on, has anyone my size used them? If so, do they lift you a little bit? If anyone has any suggestions on something that worked well, I would greatly appreciate it! It would be nice to wear a strapless, halter, etc. style evening dress!

I have never used the "chicken breasts" but I've heard they are more difficult to succeed with large cup size.

I have a bra with built in tummy squeezer. I know there is a better name for this but I always call it "my suck me in and push me up thingy". That provides pretty good support. Strapless bras that are just that, without the shaper underneath seem more difficult to keep in place, or at least that's my experience.

I can so relate to your question. I, too, am a 34D--oh and make that a long. I've been wondering about the same thing. If there is anyone out there who has been successful with the stick on thingy's than speak up. I agree that strapless tend work very well for me unless it is a longline. I just bought a dress and I am gonna try a halter style bra with it. Hope it works. Ya know I have seen another type bra in the store that is not just stick on cups, but the whole front sticks on. Wonder how that works? Good luck to you. I used to live in Peabody when I was a kid.

Hi, I've searched high and low for a strapless bra that is even the slightest bit supportive. I'm a 34D, but the laws of gravity have taken over, so I'm a bit more droopy than when I was younger! I was wondering about the gel-type bra cups that just stick on, has anyone my size used them? If so, do they lift you a little bit? If anyone has any suggestions on something that worked well, I would greatly appreciate it! It would be nice to wear a strapless, halter, etc. style evening dress!

I am a 34DD and have been in search of the perfect strapless forever it seems!

Those stick on thingies are a joke if you are busty; it was actually comical.

My best strapless so far is a Wacoal all lace version. Good support, pretty compared to many of the others and I am not constantly pulling at myself to keep it up.

Good luck!

As a 38 dd-ddd, I know what all of you are saying, I finally tried a strapless bridal type bra, and it works great. I use it with halter tops too and it doesn't pull on my neck like most halter bras do. Since it holds you up with a long area it doesn't pull like a regular strapless. It helps hold in your ribs and stomach too. I bought mine on e-bay for $36.1121826176474_1120668738551_WHITE_MICROFIBER I bought a 38 dd and it fit fine. Most come with removable straps, that can be converted to a halter or criss cross. I'ts a little warmer in hot climates, but MUCH more comfortable than a regular strapless bra.

18_2.JPG

1121826176474_1120668738551_WHITE_MICROFIBER

and I swear by the VS Angels strapless. This bra STAYS UP!!! I have worn it with my formal, and with spaghetti-strap tops. I have one in both nude and black, and I just love it. I will say that I don't take a 34D in it - I have one that is a 38C - from last summer when I was a few pounds heavier, and a 36B - that I just bought this summer. I can wear both though - they really do stay put. You need to try different sizes and see what works for you.

I have used what looks and feels like a gell stick on strapless bra. I have to admit that I was skeptical but it worked well, didn't fall off etc. even in the hot, humit weather. Can't speak for support though (I'm only a 34B)

:mad:

I think you almost need to go with a long line bra, if you are bigger than a C, but why do they insist on padding them, I have enough natural padding. I don't want anymore.

My thoughts exactly before I had my reduction...was a 36-38G. Even now, I wish thay didn't have padding (am a full C now) Fortunately I can now wear "normal sizes" but I am very picky about what I wear.

My plastic surgeon told me that VS fudges their sizes up, so you are a D there if you are a C in normal life...thanks but no thanks...I got rid of the bowling balls:D

I have a black one I bought at Dillards YEARS ago... it is great. The only thing, it has been washed so much, I have no clue what kind it is. It has glue-y stuff around it which helps hold up. I am a 34DD, and it is the only one I have found that does the job...

I think you almost need to go with a long line bra, if you are bigger than a C, but why do they insist on padding them, I have enough natural padding. I don't want anymore.

I could not possibly stand a long-line bra. Ugh! And the padding in a strapless, really isn't padding, it's simply reinforcement. Without a strap, more structure is neccessary for support.

:mad:

My plastic surgeon told me that VS fudges their sizes up, so you are a D there if you are a C in normal life...thanks but no thanks...I got rid of the bowling balls:D [/color][/size][/font]

That is so true...I wear 34C in every other brand of bra I buy, so I ordered 34C from VS and it was too small. Had to return it and get a D cup. That's has been the only brand where I have had to buy a D in whatever style of bra I buy from them.

That is contrary to my experience. I am a 34D - but am wearing a 36B in the VS strapless.

Everyone I know is a cup size larger at VS then anywhere else....Upset me a bit before I was told this, because when I went for the blow-out bra shopping I was a D there, but the lady at the bra store told me I was a C. Thought it confirmed what PS had told me.

Everyone I know is a cup size larger at VS then anywhere else....Upset me a bit before I was told this, because when I went for the blow-out bra shopping I was a D there, but the lady at the bra store told me I was a C. Thought it confirmed what PS had told me.

I am only referring to the VS Angels strapless. The other styles vary. In the Body By V Full Support bra - I wear my normal 34D. In one of the Very Sexy styles, I wear a 36D. Obviously their sizing varies greatly from style to style. But I have yet to take a larger cup size.

I wore duct tape for my daughter's wedding. I have never felt so free when wearing strapless. Those babies weren't going anywhere, and I didn't have that feeling that I needed to pull the bra up all night long.

I drank enough that pulling the tape off was not a problem. ;)

I am a 40D and have had great luck with the Cacique Smooth Performance 5-way seamless bra at Lane Bryant. It comes with regular straps & clear straps. It can be configured with the straps normal, criss-crossed, halter style or strapless.

It comes in sizes from 36C to 44DD and costs around $30. It does have some padding but the sizes are true and I think the padding helps to keep it up.

Boy, This is a scary thread to jump imto! I feel so...naked!

Well, I have multiple problems here.

I am large around the chest, under the arms across the back- really all over, but alas, I do NOT have a commensurate cup size! To really be comfortable, I have to wear a size 50 bra. Now with that size around, one would expect huge cup size. And that is what bra manufacturers do. They assume I am an F or G, or at least DDD. I am only a C-D, depending on the bra. Still, age and the ravages of time have taken their toll. (You know, bruises on the knees if I were to dare to go bra-less!) So why is it, that those who most need support (I.E. larger sizes) cannot find it in larger sized bras! And the ones who trade on the sexy uplifted look (I.E. VS) do not sell in the size of women who NEED uplifting and actually have something to lift! <G>I'd like to get a little uplift- and a little side hold-in. Worse, a lot of my weight gain was from multiple use of prednisone, the cortico-steroid. Most people know prednisone can cause weght gain. What many don't realize is it tends to make one gain unevenly, and in very odd places. Usually, if you see a person who is all belly (and not pregnant) it is prednisone wieght. It isn't distributed evenly, and tends to be heaviest in the upper arms (always the first place I gain with prednisone) and the belly. So I can't wear long lines. I look like that sideways silhouette of Alfred Hitchcock, for those of you old enough to remember. Anything pulling down, such as a longline, rolls right up on me, or slides up. I can't buy one piece body shapers, because they are usually sized by bra size. My bra size doesn't match my belly size! I've never found a "friendly" underwire, as, plastic or metal, they seem to jab me in the sides. I've looked for corsetmakers or custom bra makers. They don't seem to exist any more where I live. (Connecticut)

I did find one hand made bra maker, over the internet. They aren't sexy, but they are comfortable, they will custom make what you ask for. I just ordered some, where instead of going up a size, which would also increase the length of the straps, they simply added two inches to the band.

They are called Decent Exposure, which I think is kind of cute! They really do go for comfort- cotton and moisture wicking fabrics, etc. They are a bit expensive, but they last, and are a Godsend for me.

http://www.decentexposures.com/

I also, for last years Christmas cruise, got one of those convertible bras with the clear plastic straps. I don't think I'd wear it completely strapless (though I usually wear a shawl with a sleeveless because my upper arms are not pretty) but it works pretty well with a spaghetti strap. I've also had some luck with shelf type tops. Perhaps a local seamstress might be able to fit one inside your gowns, for those who have found this style works for them. I have tried the glue on (stick ons) and found they get lost under my floppy... um.. well, they don't work for me. The double cup ones- one piece for the whole front, might do better. I'll have to try that.

I am curious as to how Kittybork did the duct tape. Did you do it under your breasts? A little up onto them? or all the way around them in the middle? That could work, and if you put a kleenex or something in the middle of the duct tape, you would get the support and the adhesiveness without havng as much skin exposed to the adhesive. If you'd rather not post this on an open forum, my email is parrothead-av8r@mindpring.com.

But I might like to try that this year.

Karie,

Looking forward to my Jan 3 Cunard QM2 12 day Panama Cruise. And alredy panicking about what to wear, and what to pack! <LOL> And how to make do with fewer than six pairs of dress shoes, all of which will hurt after a half hour's wear!

Thanks ladies. It's kind of reassuring, even if I am rather on the extreme side of the topic, to know others who the same or similar (unmentionable<G>) problems.

Travel-to-go, I feel your prednisone pain! I am on a long term, low dose of prednisone and it is amazing how the weight gain hits right in the belly...above my waist...so it is VERY uncomfortable! I tried a tankini swimsuit on my last cruise and all it did was roll right up! So embarrassing! Wish I could help with your bra dilemna...I think they are designed by men...:rolleyes:

Travel to go , If you are going to do the duct tape at least use some pre-wrap under it, ( the spongey wrap used in sports for wrappin ankles ect) ;) cause no matter how drunk you get before you remove it, you will feel the irration when you sober up. Ouch You know that had to hurt. :eek:

I also am afflicted with a "busty bust"...haha...I'm about a 42DDD. For my wedding, I was going crazy trying to find a strapless that fit, but had no luck until I tried one by Felina I ordered online from Marshall Field's. Note to larger-busted women: MOST department stores do not carry a wide selection of strapless bras in the store; however, MOST of them have a TON in larger sizes on their website. JC Penney's & Marshall Field's being the two that come to mind first.

Best of luck--try the Felina brand if you haven't already.

Archived