Cozumel Snorkeling

wirenut

Trying to find out if it is worth booking a snorkel tour in Cozumel in December. Have read that many of the reefs are in poor condition but the cruise lines still offering excursions. Wondering if I should just try to find a beach and relax rather than wasting my money and not seeing anything when snorkeling. Also read that the waters are a little chilling that time of year and since I hate cold water wondering if this information is true because that would definitely sway my decision.

Since everyone's perception of cold is different, it is hard to make that judgment for everyone. I would expect water temps of 79 +/- a degree in December.

I'm afraid that snorkeling in Cozumel will be disappointing for quite a while. I'm not saying that everything is completely destroyed, but there has been substantial damage to the shallow shore accessible snorkel sites. There will still be some fish, but I wouldn't expect to see much in the way of soft corals or sponges.

But until we start reading first hand reports of the snorkeling quality, it is all just our best estimation of conditions.

We dove in Cozumel/Cayman area for two Decembers. Its usually @ 80F. I'm female - and get cold pretty easily - but I dove in just a bathing suit. maybe I could have used a Skin - but I wouldn't think you need a heave mm suit.

Archived