St. Kitts Volcano Hike Zika

*I posted the same thread under the "St. Kitts port of call" board but thought this might get more traffic

I was wondering what you all thought about doing a volcano hike through the jungle in St. Kitts, considering the prevalence of Zika in the area.

I did this absolutely amazing hike 2 years ago, but my husband got sick and wasn't able to go with me. So when we were booking our vacation this summer, although it wasn't the deciding factor, going back to St. Kitts was a "pro" on our list so we could do this hike together.

However, my dad wrote me a scathing email warning me against going on this hike due to Zika in the area, as my husband and I are of childbearing age, waiting to complete our education and develop careers before starting a family.

I don't recall getting bitten by any mosquitoes last time I went, and we are prepared to wear bug spray and light clothing that covers our arms and legs. But with the uncertainty, due to lack of research, of long-term effects of Zika, we're trying to really weigh the pros and cons of going on this hike.

Now, I have always been a strong magnet for mosquitos (must have that sweet blood). But should I limit my life because of it? Are the risks much greater in St. Kitts on a hike from 8am-12pm than in Ft. Lauderdale eating dinner by the water at 8pm, considering Zika was in Miami last summer (who knows how far up the coast it will travel this summer)?

I know it seems like I'm asking you to tell me, "go ahead, do that hike!" And I sorta am haha But in all seriousness, I am wondering what you would do in this situation.

IMHO you need to have this conversation with your physician. They will have the best information on the risks to your future children, and any precautions you may want to take given you are travelling to this area.

Personally, I'd go. From what I've read as long as you're not pregnant or trying to conceive in the 6 months after a trip, there's very little concern. Otoh, microcephaly is a serious medical condition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My husband is a mosquito biologist and has worked with the CDC on Zika virus so I asked him your question. He advises you to check out the CDC website, plus the Pan American Health Organization, and the World Health Organization websites for the latest Zika information. Here's a link about Zika that you might find interesting from the Pan American Health Organization. At the bottom, you can click St Kitts & Nevis for information about Zika.

http://www2.paho.org/hq/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11603&Itemid=41696&lang=en

As another poster stated, you should also check with your personal physician since he/she knows your medical history. Enjoy your cruise!

I talked with my doctor about our upcoming cruise In December on Adventure to the southern Caribbean as my husband and I are considering starting a family sooner rather than later and the first words out of her mouth were "Aren't you concerned about Zika?" My mouth dropped bc when is the last time you've heard about Zika? She recommended we wait on kids until after we get back. I asked the woman who we set up an excursion with in St. Kitts if Zika was an issue there still and she said no-which this link confirms!

Kalliekae-thanks for providing the link as I will continue to follow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went on this hike last February (LOVED it).

As we were prepping for the hike, lots of people started spraying bug repellent on. The guide told everyone that there are no mosquitos on the island so we were wasting our time. Many kept spraying because it made them feel more comfortable, but I decided I was carrying some in my pack, and if I wanted to I could apply at any time, so I would hold off. Basically, I knew I would be sweating and rubbing my face and I didn't want it running in my eyes from sweat or the back of my hand. I kind of doubt there are none on the island, but on the 3 hours spent in the bush I did not receive one single bite. I was quite happy with this since mosquitos typically do NOT avoid me.