which island for what... st thom st maarteen

tress1018

hi guys...

don't want to cram in too much in one day.... which island is best for touring and shopping and which island for snorkeling.... i am thinking st thomas seems to have more to offer as far as touring and shopping... sunny listen tour... and st marteen for beach and snorkeling.. does that seem like a likely choice.. our should i do it the other way.. shop in st marteen and snorkle and beach it in st thomas... help

In our experience (and IMO), St. Thomas (or ferry to St. John) is far better for snorkeling than St. Martin, which is not known for it's snorkeling (although it has fabulous beaches). St. Martin is good for shopping; I think it had better alcohol prices than St. Thomas, but each island has it's own specialties too.

I guess my question to you is if it's necessary for you to completely split your activities--shopping for island A, beach/snorkel for island B.

There is much to do on both islands, in the way of sightseeing, shopping, and beaching. St. Martin may not have the world's best snorkeling, but it has fantastic beaches. You could beach in the morning on St. Martin and then shop Marigot or Philipsburg in the afternoon. You could snorkel and beach on the morning at St. Thomas, take a tour after lunch, and then end up at Paradise Point for a Bushwacker to complete your day. There are just so many choices that I urge you not to compartmentalize the islands into "either/or" propositions.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

In our experience (and IMO), St. Thomas (or ferry to St. John) is far better for snorkeling than St. Martin, which is not known for it's snorkeling (although it has fabulous beaches). St. Martin is good for shopping; I think it had better alcohol prices than St. Thomas, but each island has it's own specialties too.

I guess my question to you is if it's necessary for you to completely split your activities--shopping for island A, beach/snorkel for island B.

There is much to do on both islands, in the way of sightseeing, shopping, and beaching. St. Martin may not have the world's best snorkeling, but it has fantastic beaches. You could beach in the morning on St. Martin and then shop Marigot or Philipsburg in the afternoon. You could snorkel and beach on the morning at St. Thomas, take a tour after lunch, and then end up at Paradise Point for a Bushwacker to complete your day. There are just so many choices that I urge you not to compartmentalize the islands into "either/or" propositions.

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

thank you.. that was great advise.....

As always, JMHO.

beachchick

thank you.. that was great advise.....

Archived