waves!!!!

tress1018

do any of the beaches in st thomas or st marteen have waves.. when we were in bermuda... i couldn't get over the big tourqoise waves that would clap onto the beach.. it was so much fun to body surf onto the beach... most of the caribbean i have been to the island water is very beautiful also, but tranquil....hey i am not complaining...just curious...

I have yet to see waves big enough for body surfing in St. Thomas or St. John. Cinnamon Beach on St. John came close but the waves were breaking a bit too close to shore to really get a decent ride in.

The only time I've seen waves big enough to body surf with in that area was on Barbados, on the Atlantic Ocean side. But the currents on that side of the island are dangerous and swimming was not recommended.

The Caribbean tends to be much quieter than the Atlantic so it's doubtful you'll find a beach there that's good for body surfing. Then again, in the Caribbean you also need to watch out for rocks and coral on the shore -- you definitely wouldn't want to wash up on either of those. :p

Typically the beaches around St. Thomas & St. John are calm (there are a few exceptions but the exceptions aren’t beaches you would want to swim at). During the winter months (roughly January - March) we experience shifts in the trade winds that cause waves at beaches that are usually calm, for example Magens Bay can get waves (and Magens is usually swimming pool calm). But again this isn't the typical day but rather caused by changes in the weather.

To give you a little more information, there is some surfing here and the months that are best are November through March. So again that correlates to the shifts in winds. The beaches where surfers surf aren't ones you'd want to body surf at because the break is reef break.

Hope that helps.

--Islander

http://www.*****

Archived