What do you think?

SS Cruise Lady

Our first two Celebrity Cruises were on Infinity and Millennium, which were both new at that time. So when we booked our third Celebrity Cruise on Century a few years ago, I was a little apprehensive of the ship's age, but my travel agent told me not to worry. She said some cruise lines don't maintain their older ships very well, and have effectively established two different standards within their own fleet with very different pricing, but Celebrity keeps all of their ships in excellent condition. At that time, she was right because the Century was then in excellent condition. However, after reading a few posts on this board about Celebrity's older ships, I am wondering if what that travel agent said about other cruise lines is now true for Celebrity. What do you think?

Our first two Celebrity Cruises were on Infinity and Millennium, which were both new at that time. So when we booked our third Celebrity Cruise on Century a few years ago, I was a little apprehensive of the ship's age, but my travel agent told me not to worry. She said some cruise lines don't maintain their older ships very well, and have effectively established two different standards within their own fleet with very different pricing, but Celebrity keeps all of their ships in excellent condition. At that time, she was right because the Century was then in excellent condition. However, after reading a few posts on this board about Celebrity's older ships, I am wondering if what that travel agent said about other cruise lines is now true for Celebrity. What do you think?

According to that travel agent, the cruise lines in question were able to capture a larger segment of the market this way by having newer ships which cater to a more upscale population, as well as older ships with deferred maintenance that will appeal to people who are more concerned with price.

So us posts, regarding bad condition of X ships.

Yes, questions come up on these boards every now and then, but all you get in the thread are people who were just on the ship saying how great they look.

X does a great job with their ships. I just came of the Century and she looked great. I have never seen an X ship looking worn and I have been on 8 X cruises in the last 4.5 years.

The only line I have seen with worn ships is Carnival.

I've read comments about the Summit not being maintained. I've been on her three times in the past two years and feel she's in great shape.

The Century is getting a little old and Celebrity has a massive refurbishment and moderization planned for her next spring or summer.

So us posts, regarding bad condition of X ships.

Yes, questions come up on these boards every now and then, but all you get in the thread are people who were just on the ship saying how great they look.

X does a great job with their ships. I just came of the Century and she looked great. I have never seen an X ship looking worn and I have been on 8 X cruises in the last 4.5 years.

The only line I have seen with worn ships is Carnival.

I have never been on a Celebrity Ship that was worn either, but have not been on Galaxy or Zenith, and it is a few years since I have been on the Century. My question was in response to some of the negative comments posted within the past few days from people who have recently been on these ships.

But if you read the threads, the posts by people responding are positive.

All it takes it one person posting something that may or may not be true and it gets in peoples heads.

Read the rest of the posts and you'll see what a great job X does in keeping their ships looking great.

It could be 20 positive posts for the one negative headline post, but the headline sticks in peoples head even if there is nothing to it.

But if you read the threads, the posts by people responding are positive.

All it takes it one person posting something that may or may not be true and it gets in peoples heads.

Read the rest of the posts and you'll see what a great job X does in keeping their ships looking great.

It could be 20 positive posts for the one negative headline post, but the headline sticks in peoples head even if there is nothing to it.

It always amazes me to see how people on the same cruise can have such different reactions to it. That is probably why I put the most weight on references from my personal friends who have similar likes and dislikes.

Our first two Celebrity Cruises were on Infinity and Millennium, which were both new at that time. So when we booked our third Celebrity Cruise on Century a few years ago, I was a little apprehensive of the ship's age, but my travel agent told me not to worry. She said some cruise lines don't maintain their older ships very well, and have effectively established two different standards within their own fleet with very different pricing, but Celebrity keeps all of their ships in excellent condition. At that time, she was right because the Century was then in excellent condition.

However, in light of the posts I have read from people who have commented about Zenith's deferred maintenance, as well as the bargain basement prices currently available on that ship, it appears that Celebrity is now also using different ships within its fleet to attract completely different demographics.

If Celebrity is offering Bargain Basement prices it is not because Zenith is old and dirty.It probably has something to do with Hurricane Wilma that has really put a damper on us folks here in Broward County.We are still caught up in cleanup and unexpected repairs and aren't booking last minute cruises as usual.

If Celebrity is offering Bargain Basement prices it is not because Zenith is old and dirty.It probably has something to do with Hurricane Wilma that has really put a damper on us folks here in Broward County.We are still caught up in cleanup and unexpected repairs and aren't booking last minute cruises as usual.

is Celebrity currently offering bargain basement prices on their other ships, as well, that sail from Florida?

is Celebrity currently offering bargain basement prices on their other ships, as well, that sail from Florida?
"Bargain Basement" always being in the eye of the beholder, check these two locations for "current" offers:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/

Be sure that you grab the current file for Celebrity.

While you're at it, check this file:

http://creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/CEL.pdf

Hope those help!

"Bargain Basement" always being in the eye of the beholder, check these two locations for "current" offers:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/sales/happy_hour/

Be sure that you grab the current file for Celebrity.

While you're at it, check this file:

http://creative.rccl.com/sales/promowave/CEL.pdf

Hope those help!

Thank you. It was interesting to see the prices of these happy hour specials in relationship to Zenith Prices. If we stayed home and went out for all our meals for four days, it would cost considerably more than a four day cruise on Zenith. It is easy to understand how people who have the flexibility to go away whenever they want to can afford to cruise so often :)

Archived