Man overboard off Disney Dream

Chip and Co.

2 hrs ·

Man goes overboard on Disney Dream Cruise Ship last night...

]safe_image.php?d=AQCyY6CkkdEJsSJR&w=476&h=249&url=http%3A%2F%2Fchipandco-com.dydbvttjb4q.maxcdn-edge.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F05%2F0108ZZ_0579DR-1-750x417.jpg&cfs=1&upscale=1&_nc_hash=AQBx_XExJtD0RPJo

BREAKING: Reports of Man Going OverBoard on Disney Dream Cruise Ship

We are following a developing story of an adult male who reportedly went overboard the Disney Dream cruise ship this evening. Sources are saying that…

Sorry this will not open.

They don't seem to have any details as to *WHY*. However it seems a man went overboard last evening May 4, 2017 and was rescued and was getting treatment in the Dream Medical center.. It was a 4 day Bahamas cruise.

Well done Disney Dream! It is not often a person overboard is rescued alive or even the body found.

AKK

[/color]

Edited by Tonka's Skipper

Exactly--several years ago they rescued a man who "fell" from a Carnival ship after Carnival was unable to successfully lower their lifeboat. There are some great videos. Those from Carnival make DCL look great. Those taken from the Wonder allow you to hear the staff captain giving orders to the crew. It seems that if you have had too much to drink and fight with your spouse, you"fall" overboard.

Disney has a man overboard detection system (not sure if on all 4 ships) that greatly reduces response times. All lines SHOULD be required to have this.

The key factor in whether its a rescue or recovery is time between fall and alert, if its more than 15 minutes, survival becomes exponentially less likely as the search radius continually increases. (Okay, height is also a factor I suppose, you have a lot less chance of surviving if you fall off the top of the Oasis of the seas versus the promenade deck of the Wonder for example)

Yes, the detection system is detailed in one of the articles.

Another point to be made to reassure parents. Since the line began cruising in 1998, no child has ever gone overboard accidentally from any DCL ship. There was an incident when a teen intentionally jumped from deck 4 when the ship was in port; the area that he used for access has been blocked off on both of the classic ships so it cannot be reached from passenger areas.

It is likely impossible to prevent intentional stupidity, but DCL has constructed the ships with safety in mind. The fact that no child "too young to know better" has been able to circumvent the safety built in speaks well to that.

It actually was a passenger who alerted staff that someone was in the water when she heard the splash. Also a passenger with binoculars who spotted the gentleman in the water. Very fortunate for the quick alert, being a sea day at very slow speed and calm seas to aid in spotting him.

Most passengers were not aware of the incident. A table mate witnessed the entire rescue and shared details about it last evening.

It actually was a passenger who alerted staff that someone was in the water when she heard the splash. Also a passenger with binoculars who spotted the gentleman in the water. Very fortunate for the quick alert, being a sea day at very slow speed and calm seas to aid in spotting him.

Most passengers were not aware of the incident. A table mate witnessed the entire rescue and shared details about it last evening.

While it may be totally accurate that one or more passengers alerted staff (as they are asked to do during the safety drill), there is no way of knowing whether the bridge had already received an alert from the ship's system. I'm sure the line is reviewing tapes, etc. if they did not receive an automated alert prior to the guest alert!

Please note, I'm not faulting the report of a guest alert at all. Ideally, both "systems" should have worked simultaneously. As to who spotted the man in the water first, again, no way to tell the accuracy of the reports posted. I'm sure many people were looking, most of them crew. Kudos to the guests who assisted in the notification and rescue...and also to the crew.

My daughter and husband heard the splash and then instantly saw him in the water and were the first to start yelling "man overboard port side" over and over again. It happened right below our verandah. Disney took a statement from my daughter but we never heard from them again. The man disappeared from that side of the ship so my husband and two adult daughters ran up to the 12th deck to the other side of the ship looking to see if they could see him and that's when they ran into the Brazilian man with the binoculars. We all stood at the railing looking and my other daughter and the man with the binoculars spotted him and started to scream until a ships officer came by. My daughter told the officer that they had spotted him in the water and the officer immediately got on his phone and shortly after that Disney sent out a lifeboat and picked him up. I don't know if the coast guard plane saw him first I'm only reporting what happened regarding us and what we witnessed. It was frightening and shook us to our core to see that man floating in the ocean.

Why did he fall? Was he drunk?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My nasty side is coming out here....no one has every "fallen" off a DCL ship without the use of extreme stupidity or some action taken against them intentionally. There are high railings everywhere with no access to a place that people could "fall." OK, if you stand on a piece of furniture on your balcony or make other efforts to climb over, that fits my definition of "extreme stupidity." I'm not as familiar with the Dream as I am with the other ships, but I'm confident that all her nooks and crannies have the same safety features as the other ships and I know the balconies do as well as the normal public areas.

This incident didn't take place in a hurricane or other situation where the ship was rocking violently; in fact the seas were described as very calm. During rough seas, DCL closes the pool deck and higher decks, again for safety reasons. This was not in effect at the time. The only logic I can come up with is that the individual, for whatever reason, did something plain dumb...regardless of what he says or what might ultimately be reported.

It always seemed suspicious to me. If he had fallen i think he would have fallen onto the verandah below him that jetted out about another 4-5 feet. He didn't yell once he hit the water either which was odd. I always thought he propelled himself into the water from his balcony therefore missing the large set of verandah's below him. Just my opinion.

Well, they can't not serve alcohol. And alcohol + dumb very often = tragedy. I don't mean to kick somebody when they're down - I hope this man is okay. But I agree - it's very difficult if not impossible to fall overboard on modern ships. And there's no point in pretending otherwise. This incident, much like a drunk-driving accident - is a reminder to the rest of us: watch yourselves and draw the appropriate lines.

I assume he will get a bill for the rescue costs?

Really? I think we will pay for it. If the Coast Guard was involved, every US taxpayer will contribute a portion. If DCL handled it on their own, those costs will be reflected in the cruise fares of those who sail DCL. I suspect that officially this will become an "accident." I have no idea whether DCL will send a bill, but good luck collecting it!

Couple of notes - it is 'possible' to fall, if not likely. On a different line but with the same basic railings I watched someone who was jogging on a deck trip over something and he was tall enough that when he hit the rail he started to go over and might have if someone didn't grab him. I could easily see it happening, especially in rough seas (not saying that was the case here, just that it can happen without stupidity or negligence).

As to legalities, if the cruise line determines it was due to negligence they can sue for costs, however that is a VERY high bar to prove in court and (for example) if liquor is involved opens them to counter claims regarding service, etc, so they typically don't.

The main cost to the lines in this instance is any fuel expended in the search and route recovery and any costs associated with any itinerary changes. Generally speaking these are not enough to sway fares overall. There may also be legal costs, direct and indirect but typically they are insured for that. Coast guard costs, etc are covered by taxpayers.

The main cost to the lines in this instance is any fuel expended in the search and route recovery and any costs associated with any itinerary changes. Generally speaking these are not enough to sway fares overall. There may also be legal costs, direct and indirect but typically they are insured for that. Coast guard costs, etc are covered by taxpayers.

Sorry, but anything that increases operating costs influence fares....if only to the extent that they add $1 to each fare charged the next time rates/dates are announced. It doesn't matter whether it is the cost of fabric in a character's costume, the salary paid to the captain, or extra fuel expended in a search and rescue operation--it is all operating costs and will be factored into the fares charged.

To say that there is no influence on fares is no different than saying it has no influence on taxes. The increment for each individual is indeed small, but it is still there. It costs to have a Coast Guard and it costs for each mission they perform. And that money comes from each of us who pays taxes.

I suppose that it is possible to be tall enough to fall over a railing...but you'd have to be the height of "Big Bob," a CD on another line. I'm 5'7" and those railings on balconies and in public areas hit me at mid-chest level--well above my center of gravity. Of course, if what you saw on another line involved railings that were even a couple inches lower, that could make a difference to tall individuals. I've never measured the railings on DCL or any other line--no reason to do so.

Edited by moki'smommy

I agree it is extremely unlikely it was an accident that could not have been prevented. I am 6'1" and I have never been on any cruise ship where I felt the railings were too low. Unfortunately people do stupid things and then bad things happen. And this costs us all one way or another.

I shall revise to 'substantively sway'. If Disney was to spend $100,000 a year in man overboard costs (which would be a significant number) that would raise the average passenger fare, with a markup, about 20 cents (assuming 500,000 pax per year or 10,000 per week which is about average capacity for all 4 ships).

I did say CG costs were covered by taxpayers and did not say those were insignificant (spread over a larger pool yes) but I am comfortable in saying it costs a lot more to dispatch helicopters, ships, etc to the scene of the incident than it does in fuel etc for the lines.

Sorry' date=' but anything that increases operating costs influence fares....if only to the extent that they add $1 to each fare charged the next time rates/dates are announced. It doesn't matter whether it is the cost of fabric in a character's costume, the salary paid to the captain, or extra fuel expended in a search and rescue operation--it is all operating costs and will be factored into the fares charged.

To say that there is no influence on fares is no different than saying it has no influence on taxes. The increment for each individual is indeed small, but it is still there. It costs to have a Coast Guard and it costs for each mission they perform. And that money comes from each of us who pays taxes.

I suppose that it is possible to be tall enough to fall over a railing...but you'd have to be the height of "Big Bob," a CD on another line. I'm 5'7" and those railings on balconies and in public areas hit me at mid-chest level--well above my center of gravity. Of course, if what you saw on another line involved railings that were even a couple inches lower, that could make a difference to tall individuals. I've never measured the railings on DCL or any other line--no reason to do so.[/quote']