Cave-Tubing Question

michigansal

We are scheduled to do this excursion with Yhony and his group. I have no problem leaving my dry clothes in the van, but what about my wallet (gotta pay the guides!), identification, digital camera, etc.? Does someone stay with the van, or is parking secured? I would think that the vans, and busses would be targets for crime, because it is easy to predict when the tour groups would be done 'tubing' and heading back to the vans.

Really looking forward to the excursion, but hey, I worry about these things....I'm from Detroit!

We recently did the tour with cave-tubing.com. Yhonny and his 2 sons are great guides and we felt very safe with them. Everything is supposed to be safe left in the van, but I did have a passport carrier around my neck and wore a shirt over that, and carried money in this cloth carrier. It did not get very wet--just slightly damp. We carried just enough money for the tour and tip. This is a good company and they will take good care of you.

We are scheduled to do this excursion with Yhony and his group. I have no problem leaving my dry clothes in the van, but what about my wallet (gotta pay the guides!), identification, digital camera, etc.? Does someone stay with the van, or is parking secured? I would think that the vans, and busses would be targets for crime, because it is easy to predict when the tour groups would be done 'tubing' and heading back to the vans.

I went to U of Michigan, so I understand about being from Detroit. My wife and I now live in Atlanta, and it is no better (and we live in the city). So here's my advice:

Of course, be prudent: take only what you need. Leave your passport on the ship (bring a drivers license with you instead for ID), and bring only the cash you need, plus maybe one credit card if you plan to do a little extra shopping in Belize City.

That said, it is safe to leave your valuables in your tour van. The national park where the tour guides park is very safe. It's not a big, vast parking lot like we see in the U.S. Instead, there are only a few tour vans, and they all park inside the park gates, and there are park personnel around at all times. Anyone who wants to get into the park must pay $5 to get in, so that would keep out most of the petty criminals. Also, the tour operators (Major Tom, Yhony, etc.) are highly respected for bringing tourists to the park and restaurant, so the park personnel do not want that jeopardized.

Whatever you decide to do, have a great trip, and enjoy cave tubing. My wife and I did! We went with Major Tom--*****. I've heard good things about Yhony too.

Archived