Air Quality in Havana

mooline

Hello, Cuba cruisers,

Interested to hear from anyone who has recently been to Havana. Is the air quality particularly bad?

I have not seen that mentioned in any posts within the boards for the cruise lines serving Cuba. However, in one thread within this board, a poster said:

"Warning: If you have breathing/eye problems, Havana isn't for you. I have asthma & my sister, glaucoma (w a stint). The black, billowing smoke from cars/buses was terrible. I couldn't breathe & my sister's eyes were blood red & she couldn't see."

Curious to understand just how bad it is. We are booked to go and that would not change, however I'd be prepared with eye drops and inhaler if many who have been to the island indicate that it would be beneficial.

Many thanks!

The "Classic" cars (the 1950s US models) are in varying condition of repair. Occasionally, you could find yourself directly behind one that is spewing a cloud of thick, black smoke, which is uncomfortable at the very least.

I myself did not particularly notice bad air quality in general (although I have read the complaints) as I walked around Havana, once during a very hot, humid time of year and again at a slightly cooler time of year. In comparison, I remember having problems in Istanbul with the smoke and smell from (coal?) heating that is very thick, and in a couple of other Turkish cities/towns, where I could almost feel particles falling.

I recommend taking any type of OTC or prescription medication or toiletries that you might even remotely think you might need, since you are unlikely to find them easily in Cuba.

I was just there and didn't have any issues. I had been sneezing and coughing in general for the previous week from allergies, I think, and didn't notice any change. I rode in one of the classic cars and was fine. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums