Hurricane Season 2006 who is booked for September?

perkygirl

Just noticed a coupon for Navigator of the Seas, September 30th, will get $125.00 off a balcony if I transfer my December booking on Freedom of the Seas.

Seeing as we had such a terrible hurricane season this year, is it wise to book September 30th for 2006?

How many of you are booked during hurricane season next year and what precautions are you taking (insurance, arriving a day early etc.)

We are sailing a B2B on the Navigator from September 16-23 and then 23-30. Our coupons were for $150.00 each week. My husband and I have sailed many a cruise in September starting back in 1989. We know we are taking a chance, but we like that time of year because the prices are so good. Yes, we have sailed in a hurricane and have also seen the damage of several others that we missed which changed our itineraries. Where they take us, or not take us, we are still cruising and go with the flow.

We are arriving in Miami 2 days in advance just in case of flight delays.

We still choose to book at that time and just hope for the best.;)

We love September cruising. We have booked our fourth in a row. Next September it is back to the Adventure of the Seas, we have done her twice in Sept. - 2003 and 2004

This year we dodged Hurricane Rita and got 3 extra days aboard the Rhapsody - loved every minute of it!

I am booked for September....TO ALASKA!:) Taking 3 Hurricane season cruises in the last 3 years, All ended up being the week of or right after a major hurricane, luckilly only 2 the routes were changed, and one was reversed due to charley in 04! (Katrina and Wilma this year)

I'll stay clear of the summer in the Caribbean for a while!

Same here, booked for Sept. but it's an Alaskan cruise. Hurricane season is just to risky IMO. After the fun times we had getting home after the fisherman's strike in Barcelona that delayed disembarkation, I'm not sure I'd want to figure out how to get home after a hurricane had shut everything down. I'm still waiting for RCI to send me a receipt for the airfare rebooked through them so I can file a claim with my insurance company. Meanwhile, $1,400 sits drawing interest at 14.9% on my CC. It's like tossing salt into an open wound.

There are some great prices during the falls month, and hurricane season is almost half the year anyway (June-Nov 30th), which alot of people may not even realize and cruise regardless. It just peaks in Sept/Oct.

They are predicting weather like this year (and last year) for the next 10 years or so, I don't want to wait that long to find out, what the weather fairy will bring us after that-it may be worse! If I could afford it, I would cruise during all of hurricane season, as I live in FL. The ships can move out of the way of bad weather,where the land can't and there's usually no place to evacuate, for 100's of miles. Who would rather have no power, no (hot) food and no air conditioning when you can have all of that on a ship and maybe a longer cruise for free! Of course, if you live somewhere else(out of hurricane prone areas), you may look at it as an uneccessary risk and that's understandable.

The Captain probably has better access to weather predictions and tools than the local meterologist. I have never felt endangered by weather or the Capt. on a cruise and we were even out when Andrew was trailing us back in '92.

The only people I would say not to go during hurricane season, is the ones who have their hearts set on a particular itinerary, as that is always subject to change during any bad weather and those who have to be home by the exact dates they planned on.

Insurance is a good idea, but they probably won't refund you in cash, IF your cruise is still sailing. RCCL will give cruise credits if you on your own decide, you don't want to cruise even if they are still going, as they have a "cancel for any reason" clause.

Sailed on NOS 10/15/05 and where diverted from our Western route this year. We still booked for both June and early November next year, both within the Hurricane season, even if early and late in the season. Clearly there is a risk but I agree with tupper, we also live in Florida and while I care what ports we go to I care much more about the total shipboard experience. So if you are willing to be flexible on the ports go ahead and book and enjoy.

Archived