Heartbroken...

AbbyGirl

Well I just found out that the jeweler that I like to use in St. Thomas is no longer...Any suggestions on stores in Barbabos, St. Lucia, Antiqua, St. Maarten, or St. Thomas that isn't going to try rob me or sell me junk?

Days until the Golden sails the Southern Seas
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;05;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

We do a lot of business at Kaye's in downtown St Martin, not the one next to the dock but downtown. Just remember that the first price they quote you is not the price you will pay. Just seem interested but say the price is too high and begin to walk away, the price usually will be cut in half. But then you probably new that already about all of the jewelry stores down in the Caribbean. lol

Caribbean Princess 8/14/04
Tahitian Princess 10/14/04
RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

I agree with Kay's - the one downtown. There is also DK Gems, ask for Deepti, she will treat you well. Tell her your heard about her from a TTOLer. I have no stake in either of these places and have bought only from Kay's. Have been very pleased, they stand by their work.
The ships push you towards certain stores and the ship does get something back, it is so stated in the Patter. I also think you will enjoy working with the folks in St. Martin vs the people in St. Thomas. Just say a lot of no thank yous to the hawkers in the streets. They are not as pushy as the hawkers in St. Thomas.

Grand Princess 4/4/04

Got a couple of pieces at Cardow in St. Thomas. They were on the list and I was able to talk them down a few times so I figure the price wasn't too bad [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Dawn Princess 04/11/2004 ~ Southern Caribbean
Caribbean Princess 08/14/2004 ~ Eastern Caribbean
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;14;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]

I strongly suggest Imperial jewlers in St. Thomas. Charlie is the owner and his family runs the store. I have purchased 7 pieces from them from necklaces, rings, watches, braclets in the last 12 years.

Excellent quality and reliability. Always stand behind there products. Everything appraised almost double to what I paid for it. My local jeweler remarks on the quality. I wouldn't shop anywhere else. I have had no problems with any piece I have purchased. Always negotiate!!

Carol and John
NORDIC PRINCE-Mexico 2/1994
RYNDAM-Southern Caribbean1/97
ENCHANTMENT 1/98 Eastern Caribbean -VEENDAM 6/98-Eastern Caribbean
SEA PRINCESS 3/99-Western Caribbean
RHAPSODY 1/2000-Mexico
GRAND PRINCESS 11/00-Eastern caribbean VOYAGER 11/00-Western Caribbean
LEGEND 3/02 Hawaii
CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 5/04
Future:
STAR PRINCESS 11/04

I'm also a big "supporter" of Kay's downtown St. Maarten. Everything I have bought there has turned out to be nice quality and a great deal when I get home. I always deal with Archie, especially when looking at high ticket items (he's the guy the other ones have to go to for lowering prices anyway) and I have never had a problem. Have fun, wherever you go.

Tammy

Ballerina Jewellers in St. Thomas has been great to us, our friends, and relatives. Go to the first one (there are 2 locations) on the main street and ask for James Murpuri. As a matter of fact, today I am wearing a fabulous diamond ring that I got there in 1990-something. It looks as great as it did the day I got it.

I'm another [B]Kays[/B] fan. I like that they are a family owned store with unique pieces. Their jewelry is a real value for the great quality you get.

I would rather buy from Kays than from the big, mass market ones, like Diamonds Intl.

Vicki

12/26/04 Caribbean Princess to Eastern Caribbean
Princess Star 8/03 Alaska
Princess Coral 3/03 Panama
Disney's Wonder 12/01 Bahama's
RCC Majesty of the Seas 11/99 Southern Caribbean

Kay's in SXM or AUA.

All the best!

Jay & Karen Turner
Mount Hope, Ontario

Westerdam 12/93
Statendam 10/95
Zenith 05/96
Westerdam 05/97
Norway 10/97
Westerdam 10/98
Sun Princess 10/99
Volendam 10/00
Volendam 10/01
Century 10/02
Zuiderdam 05/03
Caribbean Princess 05/04

Thanks everyone!!! I think the majority rules here...Looks like I'll be stopping at Kay's....Defiantly NOT hitting Diamonds International!!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;05;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

• 2 months later...
[quote name='AbbyGirl']Thanks everyone!!! I think the majority rules here...Looks like I'll be stopping at Kay's....Defiantly NOT hitting Diamonds International!!!

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;05;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img][/QUOTE]First off I would like to thank all of the Kays supporters, Our goal as a company is to see all of our customers walk out of the store with a smile whether it be our 2 locations in St. Maarten or Aruba. My name is Vick and I have just completed college at Virginia Tech and have returned home to join my parents in the business. AbbyGirl we hope to see you on on September 10th when the Golden Princess calls in St. Maarten. I will be at the pier location which is very easy for you getting off the ship as front street is a mess with all the construction to roads. Once again Thanks to everyone who supports us and look foward to keeping our relationships growing.

My DW is a jewelry person - she has looked at stuff in all the Carib ports and maintains that she can get the same or better quality and better prices at our local jewelry store (Branhams) in Oscoda, MI - Go Figure??

She has bought things that she cannot get here such as the Majorca pearls in Cozumel. She says the gold standard is different in the Carib than here also - they can sell 7-9 Karat as gold - in the US it is 10Karat and above.

[quote name='AbbyGirl']Well I just found out that the jeweler that I like to use in St. Thomas is no longer...Any suggestions on stores in Barbabos, St. Lucia, Antiqua, St. Maarten, or St. Thomas that isn't going to try rob me or sell me junk?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;09;05;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img][/QUOTE]

Hi Abby,
Funny that you posted this today ;-) I just today had my bracelet appraised at home for insurance purposes!

I was on the Caribbean Princess 7/24 (Eastern sailing) and DH bought me a spectacular bling bling of a bracelet in St. Maarten, we were told to stick with Princess approved jewelers and were recommended to Kay Jewelers and Joe's Jewelers. Kays did have lovely things and appeared to have good prices but I found what I was looking for at Joe's directly across the street. We were pretty sure we got a good price as he wouldn't come down any more and I went across to buy the one from Kay's, my husband walked back in to Joe's and told them I was about to purchase and if he came down a little more we would buy it.

Just had it appraised and it was appraised for about 33 1/3% MORE then we paid, we are quite happy. If you are interested DH saved the guys card, the name escapes me right now.
Wendy

Archived