What if we don't want to go on excursions?

decemberbride

• 2 weeks later...

Our tour with Eli was cancelled due to weather. We took a cab and went to Nelson's Harbor, did some exploring, shopping drove through the mountains and back to a beach with a good grill...all in all it was an enjoyable day and we saw a beautiful island... you can see Monserrat from Nelson's Harbor...

There lots of shopping at the dock.

There is alot of shopping at the dock ~ however I found this to be one of the worst islands where the people were just so pushy that I had finally had enough after a few purchases and got back on the ship....

We were on same cruise as Alb38 (Hey Andrea !)

We reserved a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4wd from Hertz months before the cruise.

We had a blast driving around the island...... went from dock over to Long Bay (beautiful beach) for a few hours then around the island to Nelsons dockyard but did not stop..... then to Fig Tree Drive (which is really gorgeous canopied drive) stopped at roadside vendor for homemade pineapple jelly and local crafts (thanks Elaine). Then over to the west coast and along up to Jolly Harbor area and then back to town.

Driving is on the left but for dh it is no problem. Hertz delivered the car right to a hotel about a block in from dock and that is where we returned it.

Antigua really surprised us in that it is pretty rural and not very built up once out of the city. Hilly and tropical and we liked it alot. Would like to return and explore more. It is a fairly small island and traffic was not bad. Roads were a little rough but driveable.

Anyway, consider striking out on your own. This is a good island to do it on. The people are very friendly and more than willing to answer questions or give directions. Hertz provided a good map too and pretty much one road goes all the way around :) the island....

• 2 weeks later...
There is alot of shopping at the dock ~ however I found this to be one of the worst islands where the people were just so pushy that I had finally had enough after a few purchases and got back on the ship....

I totally agree w/ you. My wife & I did the same thing last year. This time we'll do an excursion w/ the boat or just stay on the ship. I'm use to pushy people (from NY) but they were just a pain in the butt, especially the cab drivers. I guess they never heard of the phrase "you get more bees w/ honey."

Archived