Communicating with passengers via text message on board

We are sailing with friends on Anthem. Is there a way to communicate with our friends through text message without paying for the on board wifi? Thank You

Yes, you can use the Royal IQ app. Texting capability is $8 per phone per cruise.

So the big question is this. How much texting are you talking about? Some random texts, or an all day, non stop texting frenzy?

Texts are $0.50 outgoing and $0.10 incoming. So each phone pays $0.60 to receive and answer the text. Like meet me at the PUB at 1:30.

So here is another kicker. If one of the people have VROOM and the other one doesn't, than only one phone is charged and the other becomes an iMessage if you have iPhones.

Giver you an idea, that is what we do, and my texting Bill was about $3.00 for the last week long cruise. (I don't text all day, it was for meeting times etc or where are you!)

Hey BOB, any experience using this app for texting ?

Thanks TIM

Nope, never been on any of the ships where the app works.

However, I have read reports here, and it seems that the app works, though some say that the notification either does not work or cannot be configured properly, so they need to visually check their phones periodically.

So the big question is this. How much texting are you talking about? Some random texts, or an all day, non stop texting frenzy?

Texts are $0.50 outgoing and $0.10 incoming. So each phone pays $0.60 to receive and answer the text. Like meet me at the PUB at 1:30.

So here is another kicker. If one of the people have VROOM and the other one doesn't, than only one phone is charged and the other becomes an iMessage if you have iPhones.

Giver you an idea, that is what we do, and my texting Bill was about $3.00 for the last week long cruise. (I don't text all day, it was for meeting times etc or where are you!)

Just remember the "per text" charges depend on your carrier. ATT is $0.50 to send but received texts are free. As for your iPhone example, if one of the phones is not on wifi, receiving an iMessage requires cellular data which is much more expensive than the per text charges. If that iPhone that does not have VOOM also has data roaming disabled (highly recommended), they either won't receive the message or the sending phone will send as a normal text, not an iMessage.

We are first time on RCI next week, last year we were on a Costa and they had a great FREE app that anyone on the ship could use, basically could befriend anyone on the ship (family, friends, fellow cruisers) and send unlimited free messages. Something for RCI to note maybe ?

The app works on and off. Sometimes you would get the messages, sometimes you dont get a notification and woudlnt know you got a new message unless you have the app opened. The calling was not reliable most of the time

I've been on Harmony twice in the last couple of months. I have an iPhone and I was able to text anybody else with an iPhone, both on the ship and back home. I kept my phone on airplane mode all week both times, as to not get charged for any messages. I did not have the wifi package. I did however download the royal IQ app before I left home, I did not have to pay the one time charge for texting. I don't know why. It just worked and I wasn't charged anything. YMMV