My Thoughts on the Epic

Ned11

Just got off the Epic and here are my thoughts. Only sailed with Royal. Took my Dad (been on one cruise with Royal) and my Mum (never cruised before) both in their mid seventies.

Turned up at the port by taxi at 11.30. Dropped the bags off with the porter and headed for a taxi in to Barcelona for an hour. Came back and was busy. Had wheelchair assistance booked and got seen to straight away.

First thought of the ship - ugly. Freedom of the Seas was next to us which is a much prettier ship.

My inside room, 9111, was lovely and spacious. My parents room, 9109, which was dead opposite, lovely big balcony but the room was so small. The wavy couch takes up so much room. You can't pass each other. Also, whoever thought of the bathroom set up needs shooting! (Before you have a go, I already knew about the bathrooms).

The layout of the ship is very bitty, not much flow to it. Definitely missed the Promenade feel of openness and focal point on this ship.

The main shows where brilliant! I saw Pricilla, Burn the Floor, Cirque Dreams and Graffiti Classics. Well worth going to see. There was no shows that were adult only, as in Battle of the Sexes, Mr and Mrs. Needed something a bit more risqué at night.

Food was excellent all through the ship. Didn't eat in any of the speciality restaurants as we felt we didn't need to. We visited Taste more often as we felt it wasn't so cold in there.

Our cabin stewardess and most of the staff were happy to be there but, OMG, some just shouldn't be customer facing.

Do be careful with your account. They took tax off me as a port tax but we weren't in port. He was adamant that he was right and explained that it was the government port tax but don't get taxed in open seas. I was on a sea day so he contradicted himself. He did get it taken off to me.

I think they did charge a lot of people wrong as my Mum and Dad got $20 refunded and I also got an extra $10 credited back.

Disembarkation was a doddle. With what everyone was saying about how long it took I was worried. It took 15 minutes in total to get off the ship, collect our luggage and head for the taxi.

Would I go on the Epic again? No I wouldn't.

Would I sail on NCL again? I would give it a go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just for info, the charging of the port tax on that itinerary is correct as it doesn't leave the EU. It is a well known problem

Keith can you give a bit more info on this please, I've never had it happen before on the epic 7 nighter, need to warn friends. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ned11 thank you for this review and your comments. much appreciated. Were there plenty of taxis available when you left the ship? what time did you disembark? We are debating prearranging transport to the airport vs just grabbing a cab. thanks.

Keith can you give a bit more info on this please, I've never had it happen before on the epic 7 nighter, need to warn friends. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Have you not done the 7 day Western Med round trip on the Epic from Barcelona?

Basically, if a cruise doesn't leave the EU VAT area at all then VAT is charged for the whole of the cruise, even when you aren't in port.

It only happens on a fairly small number of cruises. For example, the Canary Islands cruises stop in Morocco (and many, if not all, of the Islands are outside the VAT area even if they are in the EU).

Eastern Med cruises used to visit Turkey a lot, but even now countries like Croatia help.

As a result there aren't actually many itineraries where this is an issue. I believe that there are a couple of Eastern Med cruises that are a problem (we did one on the Jade a few years ago that was just Greek ports). However, the Epic Western Med round trip is such an itinerary as it only visits Spain, France and Italy.

The result is that VAT is charged throughout the whole trip. If you don't have the beverage package then you pay 10% tax on all your drinks and it is also paid on gift shop purchases etc. There is no duty free sales available in the shops either.

In the last couple of years they have stopped charging the VAT on drinks consumed with the UBP. You used to have to pay that as well.

Ned11 thank you for this review and your comments. much appreciated. Were there plenty of taxis available when you left the ship? what time did you disembark? We are debating prearranging transport to the airport vs just grabbing a cab. thanks.

Loads of cabs!!! No problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were there plenty of taxis available when you left the ship? what time did you disembark? We are debating prearranging transport to the airport vs just grabbing a cab. thanks.

Barcelona is probably the best port I know of for taxis. There are usually loads there.

The only time I have ever had a problem was when there were four large ships in port on the same day. The taxis were very stretched that day. Just check what other ships are due in port, but you should find that there are lots of taxis available.

Would I go on the Epic again? No I wouldn't.

Would I sail on NCL again? I would give it a go.

This was my conclusion as well. I'm sailing on the Jade next month and I hope it'll be better than Epic. If not, I'm finished with NCL.

The main shows where brilliant! I saw Pricilla, Burn the Floor, Cirque Dreams and Graffiti Classics. Well worth going to see. There was no shows that were adult only, as in Battle of the Sexes, Mr and Mrs. Needed something a bit more risqué at night.

If you were looking for something a bit more adult, the Howl at the Moon Duelling Pianos is generally a bit more risqué, particularly after 11pm (until that time, they inexplicably allow kids in the audience). We always have a good laugh in there.