Renting A Jeep - Cozumel?

BlondiSCal

Am looking into renting a jeep for the day and am finding better rates at the places near the airport. Looked at a map and it doesnt look too far away from the dock but is that true? And is it a hassle to get a cab there and back just to save some money on the rental?

Thank you!

Cindy

Your time in Cozumel will be short. Is it worth your time to save a few dollars? It isn't a problem getting a taxi to take you anywhere. They will be lined up waiting for you.

You need to know this about jeeps in Cozumel. They are regular Jeeps with 4 wheel drive, but the ones in Cozumel have had their 4 wheel drive shift linkage disconnected. So even though the jeep is a 4x4, you won't be able to engage the 4 wheel drive. The moral of this story is; stay on the paved road. If you try to drive up the sand "road" on the east side that goes north from Mezcalitos, you WILL get stuck.\

Finally, anyone who is thinking about driving around Cozumel really needs the Cozumel map from http://www.cancunmap.com.

Thanks so much! We were debating whether or not we'd even use the 4WD so now with your information, I booked a convertible beetle instead. And I booked it at one of the chains at their location "right across from the cruise docks".

THANKS!

Cindy

Great Choice Blondi,

The bug is fun and you can lock up belongings under the front hood. Not to sure about the roads on the windward side of the island , hope they are clear........ thethe best part of having a car is driving around the entire island.

J

I booked a convertible beetle instead. And I booked it at one of the chains at their location "right across from the cruise docks".

Cindy,

Who did you use? I too was wanting something close to the pier, but at this point I don't know into which pier we will be tendering.:confused: I'm betting on the ferry pier.

Thanks,

John

Hi all

I agree - open top VW Beetles are a great way to get around. All the big chains are pretty reliable (Executive, Alamo etc) - or if you want to try a smaller local rental agency I've never had any problems with Isis car rentals downtown on 5th between 2nd and 4th.

Unless it's a very busy day you can usually just turn up and rent on the spot for under $50 per day - depending on what insurance you take. The cars are not brand new, but clean and reliable.

It's always good to support smaller local businesses - see the story "18 cruise ships next week" on my site www.wilmacozumel.com too!

Best wishes

Ian

Hi all

I agree - open top VW Beetles are a great way to get around. All the big chains are pretty reliable (Executive, Alamo etc) - or if you want to try a smaller local rental agency I've never had any problems with Isis car rentals downtown on 5th between 2nd and 4th.

Unless it's a very busy day you can usually just turn up and rent on the spot for under $50 per day - depending on what insurance you take. The cars are not brand new, but clean and reliable.

It's always good to support smaller local businesses - see the story "18 cruise ships next week" on my site www.wilmacozumel.com too!

Best wishes

Ian

Hi all

Best wishes

Ian

Hi all

Best wishes

Ian

We hired a taxi driver for $45 for all day... took us to breakfast at the museum, back to our hotel, then Mescalitos on the east side. He hung around until we were ready to leave. When they make like $20 bucks a day waiting around in taxi lines, $45 is a real treat for them. Then you can have all the margaritas you want and not worry about driving.

PS, They drive like maniacs there and an accident will ruin your trip... not to mention your bank account even if you have all the insurance.

Don

Thanks, Bruce-R, I just ordered a Cozumel map. Don't know if we're renting a car yet, but just in case! What a cool company - order a map, they send you an envelope to mail them a check back! What trust, something you don't find too often these days!

Archived