Serenade OTS S. Carib vs. AOS: Been on either?

alw1977

Hi everyone. Planning a cruise on Serenade in Feb 07 (a long way off, I know). I've heard about some "issues" on the AOS with rude passengers, cultural differences, and staff that is of a lesser caliber than other ships. Has anyone been on the Serenade OTS out of San Juan and if so, can you speak to whether the same issues are present on this ship? I guess what I'm really asking is this: since Serenade does this itinerary only part of the year, does it sell out more meaning less cabins are offered at inexpensive rates to PR residents? It seems to be a popular sailing. It will be my in-laws first cruise and I want to ensure we are making the correct decision.

I don't mean for this post to sound like I have any bias whatsoever towards PR residents. I've been to PR before and had a great time and enjoyed meeting locals very much. However, I just want my expectations set properly. I hear very little, compared to AOS, about the Serenade S. Carib. sailings, so any personal info you can give is appreciated. Thanks and happy Thanksgiving!

I've sailed out of SJU plenty of times and never experienced some of the problems others have with regard to a large number of rude Puerto Rican passengers. If you are sailing during a normally busy time, this shouldn't be an issue as the cruise line will not offer those deeply discounted rated to citizens of PR.

Aside from that, given a choice, I would choose the Serenade over the AOS hands down. The Radiance class ships, which the Serenade is one of, are the most beautiful ships at sea. The Serenade has tons more glass in the public areas so no matter where you are on the ship you get great views of the ocean and surrounding islands. The Serenade also has a better itinerary IMHO than the AOS. Unless you plan to use the additional amentities found on the AOS (ice skating, inline skating etc) then I would take the Serenade.

I have picture of both ships at http://community.webshots.com/user/rdeagazio

I've sailed out of SJU plenty of times and never experienced some of the problems others have with regard to a large number of rude Puerto Rican passengers. If you are sailing during a normally busy time, this shouldn't be an issue as the cruise line will not offer those deeply discounted rated to citizens of PR.

We have sailed out of SJ seceral times on Carnival and RCCL and all have been very wonderful. Didn't notice a large number of PR citizens and/or rude passengers-not any more than you find out of Miami. Every ship will have some!!!! Have sailed the Seranade-was great and am sailing the Adventure in April 2006. We generally pick by itinerary first and ship second. The ships are all first class. Have been on the Navigator before and the Voyager class ships are huge-looking forward to the Adventure but if I were you- I'd look at the itinerary, price and dates and pick from there. I actually prefer the Saturday sailing to Sunday that the Adventure has but we are trying a truely large ship again this time.

i'm cruising out of pr december 24th. it is a christmas cruise and is horribly undersold. i've already gotten a huge refund because the price of my cabins have dropped dramatically. i am told by someone else on the ship that they received 2 additional price decreases. since we are so close to the departure date i would imagine that royal caribbean will have no choice but to offer these available cabins to locals. i've heard from people who've cruised under these conditions that it does change the "flavor" of the cruise. i will post my review when i return and let you know if the "flavor" was a good one.

How can one gauge if a cruise is likely to be "undersold"? We're looking at Valentine's week, 2007. It's the week before President's Day in 2007. Please do let me know how your cruise is. I'll keep my eye out for a review.

Archived