Hawaii

GMC

We cruised the Serenade Hawaii - Ensendada in October... a perfect cruise - or as close to perfect as possible. Embark in Honolulu.. cruise the Islands for 6 days then cross the Pacific to Ensenada.. good weather all around... not cold, but yes, a little windy in the crossing some days.

DW loved the Sea days more than the Island days...and the Serenade is a very nice ship. I'd do the RT cruise in a heart beat if I could handle the extra days off work...you'll love it ...

I haven't been to Hawaii yet, but my DH and I are going in May. We are booked on the Radiance, 14 day circle cruise from San Diego. This particular cruise caught our attention because of the 'round trip' factor. We wanted to cruise to Hawaii, but didn't want to have to fly there. This is a new itinerary for RCCL, and they are offering the same cruise again in Sept 2006 (but out of L.A.). Hopefully, this is something that they'll start offering on a more regular basis.

I'm a little concerned about the comments I read about the 'cold, windy sea days' in the crossing from the mainland to Hawaii. We have 8 sea days that I've been looking forward to...but it sounds like I may freeze my bum off! :eek:

Don't Worry Sherry,

I went in 2004 from Ensenada to Honolulu and we left in late April (27th). The first of the 4 days at sea was windy, but the next 3 were calm. And the Pacific Ocean is MUCH calmer than the Atlantic. That's why it's called the Pacific! It's more peaceful!!!! The cruise over was very calm.

I have heard the pacific ocean is rockier water to cruise on. Another reason I think I'll go the land route when I go.

Incorrect. The Pacfic Ocean is named much calmer water than the Atlantic, hence the name Pacific... or peaceful. Did Ensenada - Honolulu in late April-Early May and water was very calm. And I read in one of your earlier posts that you were looking for an AI in Hawaii. I don't think you'll find too many. Many hotels/resorts, but I believe most, if not all, are a la carte.

Enjoy Hawaii though, it's beautiful.

yogimax, It is just my opinion but we will probably never go back to Oahu. We were gald we went once and were able to visit Pearl Harbor, but it was too congested and dirty compared to the other islands. We can find congested and dirty at home. I would have been dissapointed if I had spent a week on Oahu and never realized how great the other islands were. Someday we hope to return to Kauai which was our favorite island but we would never have known if we did not go on a cruise. This is just my opinion of course!

You need to get out of Waikiki and Honolulu... Go to the North Shore! It's another world on that side of Oahu. :)

As for cruising Hawai'i vs. a land based trip, cruising gives you a great overview of Hawai'i, but you've by no means seen Hawai'i after a cruise! You must either go back and take a land based trip, or spend a couple of weeks before or after your cruise on the islands. The Hawaiian islands are nothing like the Caribbean islands, you simply can't see all of any of the Hawaiian islands in a day! You need to spend some time there.

Archived